How do i ask another mom to ask her child to "play nice"?

my sisters 5yr. old came over to meet my daughter her cousin for the first time.her daughter was playing with my daughters toys which was fine,but like a 1year old my daughter wanted to play with the same toy. this was consistent and my sister told her child to give the doll to my child but at times she refused. everytime she would push my daughters hand away and say no or move away.so of course my daughter would cry not to mention she really needed a nap.i said your daughter keeps making my daughter cry in a joking way but she got all offended and told her kid to sit on the floor by her.im still teaching my daughter to share.

daisycristal

Asked by daisycristal at 5:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would talk to your niece, tell her that DD is a baby and still learning about sharing, tell her that she can help you teach DD about sharing by showing her. Tell her that if DD wants a toy that she has she can say "Ok, I'll share the toy with you!", tell her how big she is for teaching DD about sharing. When she moves on to a new toy and DD wants it you could tell DD, "cousin is playing with this toy, lets share it with her", and then try to distract DD with a different toy. Also explain to your niece that sharing the toy is the best idea, but if she really wants to play with a toy and DD's trying to take it she should ask for your help, and that hitting is never ok.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• This is a tough one. It mostly depends on the parent. When they are older, like the 5 year old, I'm apt to let the children sort it out themselves but keep an eye on them. I would have a problem with the fact that she told her child to give yours the doll but she didn't. I think the problem lies more with the parent not being more firm. She is old enough to do what she is told.

As for your daughter needing a nap, that might have contributed a little to her crying. I don't know if this is an option for you but when we have a visitor and naptime comes around, I politely say that I need to put mine down and would love to visit another time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009