What can I give my 14month old for a stuffy nose and congestion?

My dd is not acting right, she has a stuffy nose, chest congestion, and a slight fever we have tried EVERYTHING and are going to settle for using meds because, her father and i had a flu, I have bronchitis.. soo. PLEASE HELP!!!

Trinity0820

Asked by Trinity0820 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• gerber baby menthol bath

run HOT HOT HOT water in the tub with the menthol bath, with the curtain and door closed.

when you're ready to get her in the tub bring her in the bathroom. the menthol and the steam will start working right away.

add COLD WATER to the tub to make it bearable - you only use the hot to generate the steam.

works like a charm for my girls (and Daddy)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• First, you need to take her to the doctor to make sure she is not getting the Flu. It's very important. If they say she has just a cold, you can give her some mint tea. They sell mint leaves in the produce section at Wal-Mart where the veggies are. You can boil them in water until the mind flavors the water, and give it to her in a sippy. It will help clear out the congestion. Also if you have an herb store somewhere nearby, Catnip tea is very good for children who have colds. If you buy some, please google, "Catnip tea for babies" and there is a site that will give you dosage information on it.
    Anonymous

• New recommendations say you shouldn't give them over the counter cold meds until they are six. You can give her some infant Tylenol for the fever, but you'll have to rely on saline spray and one of those suction bulbs for her nose. Maybe try a humidifier and some infant Vaporub for the chest congestion.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Saline spray for the nose, and I've used a homeopathic children's medicine called "sniffles and sneezes" or something like that. Breastfeed a lot if you're still breastfeeding.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Johnson's Vapor Bath and Lil Noses saline spray. My miracle cures :) They work great for a baby instead of meds.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009