My 15mo's kitty died. What do I do when she looks for her?

So it's breaking my heart.This morning my dad found my 15mo daughter's kitty dead in the street. (She was hit.)
They were so hard to seperate!Every time she wakes up she calls "Kitty!"And all day she's been calling for the kitty, and looking around where the kitty usually stays.Not only do I miss the cat, but I tear up every time she calls for it, because she's starting to sound sad when the kitty's not coming.What do I do?I was told she'd forget, but how long?They played together all the time, so I don't think it'll be that easy.

VonWiggles

Asked by VonWiggles at 5:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just say that kitty is gone and offer to play something else with her. She is too young to understand concept like death. The average life expectancy for a cat that goes outside is a mere 18 months, while the average life expectancy for an inside cat is 14 years. Point being - if you get her another cat and allow it to go outside, expect to have this conversation quite often

karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• You canNOT just ignore it and hope she forgets. She is old enough that she needs to be told that the kitty went away but that everything will be okay and when she wants to (if it is ok with you, that is) you can get another cat. This is a hard age to deal with this, but you have to, otherwise she may start having separation anxiety issues or other behavioral problems. If the cat was very important to her, which it sounds like it was, she needs to get closer from its disappearance. Do what you think is best, but that is my POV.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009