Is this taking too much of a risk?

My husband and I hate using condoms and we have ever since our son was born 11-08. My gyno put me on Yaz birth control pills, and I started taking them on Sunday, Oct. 4. GI have not missed any days, but I have been really bad about taking them at the same time everyday. I don't know if taking the pills at the same time matters just because it's a reminder to take them daily, or if it is in fact crucial for them to work right. The times I have taken them range from about 11:30am-5:30pm. My gyno told me to that if I took the pills everyday, they should be in effect in two weeks, so that would be this Sunday, Oct. 18. We really don't want to use condoms because we both prefer the sensation of sex without them, and I am really wondering if it would be a good idea/not a good idea to stop using the condoms this Sunday. LOL I know this sounds so loopy but I really am not sure about it. (more)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• My former assistant got pregnant on a low dose pill; she was also bad about taking them every day. She actually got pregnant on her honey moon. With twins.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ( cont. from above ) I am continuing taking the pills and have been getting better about taking them around the same time everyday ( again, I have never actually missed a day ). Do you think I would be taking too much of a risk if I stop using condoms since the b/c pills start taking effect on Sunday? Help!!
    Anonymous

• As far as I know it has to be the exact same time every day. But I have seen that Yaz is especially dangerous. You might want to check that out a little more.
    Anonymous

• I took the pill (not Yaz) for 3 yrs before getting pregnant, off the pill, and never got pregnant. I never remembered to take it at the same time, but I didn't stretch it over over that many hours either. I usually took it in the morning between 5:30 and 7, or later, I switched to evening, and it would be between 6 and 9. After I had my first kid, I took the pill again for 2 1/2 yrs, and again, never took it at the same time, and never got pregnant. So, I would say that you don't have to take it at exactly the same time every day, but I would try to get it in a smaller time frame that you take it. Maybe set a reminder on your cell phone or something. As for right now, I'd wait maybe another week or so to try to make sure it's really working.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It is important to take the pill at the same time everyday. Each time you dont, the risk of getting preggo rises. If taken properlt, it is 99.9% effective. The percent lowers about 7 percent each time it is missed or delayed.Try to set an alarm at the same time everday like 8pm.
    Anonymous