Should I stay home or go to work?

Here's the dilemma: I am working part time as a classified sub and going to school online full time. My daughter is in a special education preschool and goes to daycare. I pay $350 a month for daycare (military so it's not too expensive).

We moved out of my daughter's school district recently, so the only way she's been able to continue attending is by going to her current daycare, which is in district. That means that on days that I do not work, I have had to drive her half an hour away to the daycare to catch her bus and then drive back and get her after school. I cannot move her to a closer daycare, b/c she will lose her school and it will be too expensive.

Well with her therapies and my school work, I'm only able to work two days a week, Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesday (one of those days I have school stuff, but that varies). I only have to work 5 days a month to pay for daycare, but with holidays it's tight.. cnt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• So I'm able to pay for daycare each month, but I am not able to make much more.

But, if I pull her out of daycare, then I have to find someone to watch her on the days that I have field work for school, and she'll have to move schools (and I love her teacher). She is also very happy in the daycare. There are some months that I will be able to work more but the coming months, I will just make 5-6 days.

So I'm not really making money to work most months, but if I give up the daycare, she will lose her school, and I will lose the extra money that I make during the months that I have more availability. I also lose out on the experience, and since I went from high school into college, to married with a kid and moving with the military, I have no other job experience.

So what do you think? Should I stay home, or should I keep working and pay for just daycare?
    Anonymous

• I think you are doing fine the way things are. You're child is happy and progressing. As a mom of special needs twins, I know that is gold. Having a good working relationship with your child's teacher or teachers is invaluable and the experience won't hurt either.
    I wish you well and if you ever want to chat, I'm a little further down the road than you and I'd love to support you and you support me. So feel free to pm me.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree with teamquinn....it sounds like you've got it all under control as is. And I'm assuming since you're going to school and such, that you intend to work once you're done anyway, and this way, you've already got her in a situation you're happy with.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Well I guess the issue is that during the Summer months, I will not be making any money, and I will be paying out over a grand for daycare, and I am not making any extra money to save up for that time.
    Anonymous

• I don't suppose moving back within district is a possibility?

At this point, I'd leave things and worry about summer when it gets here. There's a LOT that can happen before then.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009