Would you call the police on your 14 year old son

if you found pot in his room?

jenzfoto

Asked by jenzfoto at 6:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If it was the first time probably not. I think I would tell him what my thoughts were on it, tell him that it absolutely is not allowed in my house and if I found anything like that in his room again that I would be calling the police on him the next time.
    Anonymous

• Have you found it before? I would confront him calmly, and get rid of it with a very solemn warning that this will not be tolerated. BUT, you must, must, MUST follow through with anything you tell him that will happen for a future punishment, no matter how hard it is on you. If this fails, then, perhaps you have no other choice. I had to do such a thing with my oldest, and it is not easy, but it was the right thing to do - even he says that now.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 6:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree that the first time deserves a warning. But stick to it. he is young and you wanna make the best decisions. Its gotta be hard Im sure. But Id keep a close eye on him and do some snooping. He does not have privacy at that age so dont let anyone tell you that you're violating that. Id also if needed, go through his stuff when he walks in the door
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• bust the kid ass and tell him next time i found it in your room i take your ass to the cops my self and tell him all it will do is fry his brain ! !
    Anonymous

• Well just let me say this. My senior year of high school I went out drinking and my Dad found out about it the next day and ended up calling the police (although, he was Chief of our town) and had me arrested and I spent three days in lock down at the detention center. I was in a private school at the time and had to switch to the public school...and I was just really ticked at my Dad forever...I mean, I knew drinking was wrong, I was just being an idiotic teenager...SO personally if its the first time I would recommend handling it within the family and utilize other resources.
    Anonymous

• I was highly advised NOT to, but I did....3 days before he turned 18. My son was smoking in his room, had taken the batteries out of the smoke detector and was high just about all the time (the first time being when he was 15.) I was scared to call, didn't want to get into "the system" but in my case it worked. The officer didn't come into the house, my son went out to talk to him...and he hasn't smoked in the house since. And he's had clean urine tests for going on 3 months now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• The first time? No. My MIL used to tell me about the time she found pot in the hallway ceiling where there was a whole - while cleaning cobwebs it fell right onto the floor- anyway with 6 teens and early 20's in the house she didn't know who it belonged to so she replaced it with oregano! I think if I ever find DS with pot thts what I'll do! Then just give it a few days and ask him if he got sick when he smoked his "pot" and the punishment and disapointed in his choice discussion will follow.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have a 15 year old son, I don't think I would call the police the first time, but would let him know, if it happens again, I would most definitely be calling. We have a friend who is a police officer, we would likely call him to come over and explain the consequences to our son, and also to out 12 year old daughter.
    wahmx3

Answer by wahmx3 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• no. definatley not. but i would have a loooong talk with him on why he shouldnt use. calling the cops is a bit harsh. i mean, that is your son. deal with him!. be a parent, hes no criminal, he just a teen!!!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 10:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Not the first time. I would have a long talk with him. I wouldn't want to give him a felony record for trying pot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009