First time flying>?

I'm traveling via airplane for the first time with my 4month old baby to visit my family. I'm a first time flyer myself, what can I do to keep my baby calm. What do I do if her ears pop? Any advice on things I should know before I travel? Thanks!! Any suggestions or tips are appreciated :)

isela2121

Asked by isela2121 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Travel

• Don't check your stroller with your baggage...you can check it at the gate as you board the plane. You'll be thankful you have it if there are any delays. Don't let anyone at security take away your formula or breastmilk...if they try to take it...make a fuss...you're entitled to as many liquids as you think you need for a baby. Bottle or boob on the way up and back down and you won't have any issues with ears. It is very likely that the sound of the engine will lull your little one to sleep and the plane ride will be a breeze. Best Wishes!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• the say to give a bottle when taking off and descending. As far as occupying just be animated. lol its hard at that age. My dd first flew at 10mths and was fine. Her ears did not bother her and she was just content looking out the window. Youll be fine at this age. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ....the bottle will help because she is swalllowing and allowing her ears to pop on their own without letting to much pressure to happen
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• also, im sure that whomever your sitting next to will be in love with her and be a big help in keeping her attention. Dont worry about the crying. Shes an infant and they have their moments. Have a glass of wine and relax! lol It helped me when flying amost 6hrs to Cali with a 2yo!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• LOL! Thanks! I think I will have some wine :) She's a really good girl anyway, I was just worried her ears would pop and she wouldn't know what was going on.
    isela2121

Answer by isela2121 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i'm flying southwest :) bags fly free! yay!
    isela2121

Answer by isela2121 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I LOVE southwest! they are great and very accomidating! Youll have a great flight!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• As pp said about liquids, be ready to open all of them so that they can test them . they will wave this stick over the opening to check for harmful chemicals. Its quick and easy so just make sure you know where everything is so its easier on you both.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• BUT you can not fly with those ice pack things. They took all of mine so be ready to buy more or just pack ice that can be thrown away with no money spent
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• IM SORRY BUT THERES NO WAY I WOULD FLY ! WHAT IF IT CRASHES ? U THOUGHT ABOUT THAT ? I WOULD TAKE A BUSS OR DRIVE ......
    Anonymous