16 month old tantrums

my dd is 16 months old....she's been throwing tantrums for a few months now...but recently its gotten VERY bad...we cant put her down from holding her to bring her down the stairs, and so on....if you tell her lets get dressed, she associates that with bye bye and goes straight to the door and throws a fit when i go upstairs to get ready, or try to get her ready....how do i handle these fits???..i've tried just setting her down and ignoring them, and that's worked for the most part...but since they've gotten worse, all she does is cry..i tried to tell her today to come up stairs(she crawls upstairs, and is very cautious about it) and get in the bathtub with me, so that i could get ready, bc she wont stay in the same place and has to have the shower door open when i shower (separation thing?), and she cried and cried at the bottom of the stairs the entire time..i was only in there for 10 minutes. HELP before i loose my mind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will pass. Try occupying her while getting ready. Like put her in a playpen or packnplay with a book and some toys or put amovie on. Just being consistent will help. If you know whats worked int he past then keep it up. My dd always got over her tantrums when I ignored them. I let her get her frustrations out and she was fine.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• And before she can assume shes going bye bye just get her dressed. Try not to say soemthing that will trigger it. Just get her dressed and do what you gotta do as if you're staying home all night
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• NO IT WANT PASS ! SPANK HER BUTT , BECOUSE IF U DONT NIP IT IN THE BUD SHE JUST GET WORSE . TRUST ME I HAVE TEEN'S ! !
    Anonymous

• I agree...people are too lax on discipline. My parents told me no ONCE! And that is ALL it took. They put the fear of god in me when I was young..and NO MEANT NO..there was no negotiation..lol. I am a firm believer on getting on there level..trying to talk to them about whats going on..but when that doesnt work...or when it is just beyond ridiculous...spank there butt! It only takes once! This isnt child abuse..this is called "being a parent". Why do you think kids run ALL over their parents these days?? The worse thing they had to do was "sit in timeout"...really? If I was a kid...shhoooottt..that was all the punishment I would get? I would ALWAYS be in trouble! I knew I better be home ON TIME..there were no excuses...I was home ..PERIOD..lol. And I love my parents DEARLY!! Just bc they spanked me..didnt mean they didnt love me..or want the best...come on people..get real!
    mis_mama2be

Answer by mis_mama2be at 8:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• and also...im not really agreeing with spanking at this age..I was mostly referring to older kids who acted up. Toddlers are just going through their feelings..and thats how they communicate....so this is a stage..My son throws fits ALL the time. I try to stay in the same routine everyday..so he knows what time it is for everything..and if he throws a fit...then I lay him down till he is better. Given that I have made sure he is fed..no thirsty..changed..ect. Try putting her in her room to play with herself alone..standing where she can still see you...and knows you are there. That is what I had to do with Josh... To where he will play alone for 30 min or more. If he sees us leave..he cries...but if we slip out the door...he is great..doesnt even notice. You just have to get her used to not being around you ALL the time.
    mis_mama2be

Answer by mis_mama2be at 8:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Where does she go when you get ready to leave? Maybe she is not being treated well where she goes??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• maxsmom11807,

im a sahm, so wherever i go, she goes...the only time she's out of my sight is when she's overnight at grandparents or our baby sitter and close family friend has her...we know she's being treated well wherever she is...

her tantrums keep getting worse and worse, to the point i can't walk away into the kitchen (which she has full view of and can still see me) without her throwing a full on fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2009