Lost job on medical leave?

Today my DH found out that his job title and hours were given away to another employee while he was on medical leave. My DH was out of work for 11 months with a dr's note.
Can an employer take away your job title & hours just b/c you were on medical leave? Doesn't an employer have to keep your job for at least a year?
I haven't a clue what the laws are or what an employee's rights are when it comes to medical leave. Can someone please tell me how to research this or what the federal laws are on this topic?
This is a huge company of 15,000 employees. And no jobs were cut during the last 5 yrs. This company keeps growing and is always looking for workers.
Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• My guess that for each state the laws might different, but my understanding is that Family Medical Leave (Including leave for your own medical) is guaranteed for only 16 weeks.
    Anonymous

• I'd contact the Federal Wage & Hour Agency. They are in control of employment laws

Answer by admckenzie at 6:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Thank ladies. My aunt just sent me the federal laws and it's only for 12 weeks. New York state doesn't offer protection to employees.
    I for some reason got 12 weeks and 12 months mixed up.
    Thanks again.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 6:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009