Vaccinating and school.

I was wondering I know there are some ppl who do not vax their kids, (i personally dont agree with this but i would never bash), i vax. When your child becomes school age don't they have to be up to date on all their shots before they can start? So if their parents dont get them vaccinated how do they go to school? Just wondering.

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yea i always wondered the same thing! Im with you and would love to hear how that works
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Different states have different ways of getting out of vaccinations. Depending on where you live, you can opt out due to medical, philosophical, or religious reasons. They have forms you fill out stating why you refuse vaccinations.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• oh ok thanks. was just curious. i live in ohio btw.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• however when it comes to beliefs or med conditions...how do the parents of vax kids feel about non vax kids in school with their child? I dont think id b ok with it because of plagues and stuff but thats just me. Im not bashing just curious of if theres any public opinion or say in it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• im the same way. i understand that when you vax your child there is still a slight risk that if exposed they could get the disease. nothing against the child but i wouldnt be too happy if i found out my child were in the same classroom with an un vaxed child. i feel like im doing my part as a parent to protect my child, and other parents who dont vax theirs children are putting mine at risk.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yea i feel the same way. i can see that they may be worried about their own but its my dd in the end that matters to me
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I as a parent would expect to know if that is the case. If parents dont want to vax then thats their choice and i get that. however I would not want my child in the same class or even the same school. I think we should be aware of this and given the option to let our kids stay or go. I also think that with the number of non vax kids growing, they should have their own school or section of the school
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Just an fyi OP Im gonna do a similar ? to this so dont think im biting! LOL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Nope. There is a waiver on the back of the immunization record form from the school. If you as a parent have convictions against vaccinating, you sign it.

We raised three children without vaccinating them. ... We did get their tetanus shots at about age 12, in case of certain injuries. When they were heading to college, we researched it and they chose what they wanted.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009