Are we moms better cooks than our MILs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My MIL to be can't cook, doesn't cook, and make sure everyone knows it before they come over. She fed my SO this thing called "SOS" as a child. It's ground beef with salt and pepper water over toast. I almost cried when he told me that. When I cook for him, he'll make confessions about how bad he ate as a kid, how he was under nourished and ate from boxes. His siblings tell me about it when they come to dinner too. It's like they were fed prison food.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

I think this could be why he loves me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Im on the same level. her prob is that she makes enough to feed 3 when 8 ppl eat over! lol I have to have a second dinner when i leave her house! hahah
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think I am. My MIL makes everything from a box D: Yuck!
    I cook mostly from scratch and she is always complimenting my cooking, so hopefully that means it is good.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I am more creative though. she makes the basics like meatloaf and potroast. i cant compare cooking because i dont make either of those. I have good recipes and feel that I do a darn good job at them lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We all like to think we are better. but listen to her and see if she has any good things to teach you. Remember she cooked for ur man all his life and he most likely loves her cooking. U could learn how to cook his favorite meals from her.
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My man BRAGS to his mom that I'm the better cook and she agrees! I think she's a good cook but she is happy to make meals from boxes now rather than from scratch. My man prefers the home cooking.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• The only thing I have to say is that our school housed 4 foreign exchange students this year and when they were asked what they thought about American food they all replied that it was very unhealthy compared to their country and everything is fried and fattening
    Anonymous

• I think my mil is a good cook, and I've gotten a lot of good recipes from her over the years. The funny thing is though, is both she and my dh think I'm a better cook, and she's also got a lot of good recipes from me over the yrs :-)

In fact, she and I get a laugh, because due to dh and I both being Navy and overseas when we got married, we were already married before I physically met my inlaws. She knew he and I liked to cook together, but she didn't know if we COULD cook (lol, I could a lot, he could some from working in a camp kitchen as a teen) so the recipes she sent then give us both a laugh now, because it's got helpful tips like "if you cook this in advance, make sure you refrigerate and then re-heat" Or "1 cup diced (chopped up) onions" LOL - my mil and I both laugh over this - and even though I didn't need the "hints", the recipes were good and I still make the, with my own "twist", 17 yrs of marriage later :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• lol anon - I think that would depend on what kind of cooking is being done. While I do make some fried things (fried chicken for example), most things I make aren't, and we do a lot of veggies, and healthy, home made dishes.

We live overseas and I'm surprised at how much of THEIR (Japanese) stuff is fried lol :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Not me. My MIL is a wiz in the kitchen. My Hubby picked up her talent. I'm a lucky woman. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009