To anyone who has ever worked in retail or the restaurant business. Who is the worst customer you've ever dealth with?

I have not been working in retail for too long, but I have managed to have dealt with some odd customer requests. I love working at my job, but sometimes it's annoying when customers think you are their slave. Or sometimes they get mad and make a scene when they think something is on sale and blame you for not being able to give them the sale price (because it's not on sale!!!). So what's the oddest request you have had or worst customer ever?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 6:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• humm...I would have to say the worst was when I worked at Baby Depot. A woman came in looking for some furniture. We had some on sale but she didn't like the sale prices so she decided she needed to fuss at me. Then when it came time for her to fill out the paper work for her registry, I got a call from the store manager. So I got the other associate that was there, and introduced him, was very nice and explained that he would take over from here because I was needed in the office. When i came back the lady was mad and started yelling at me. She asked to see the manager so I got her, then this lady proceeded to lie about me and say that i just left them there without any help and no explanation. She and her friends were finally escorted from the store because of the scene they were causing and my co-worker backed me up that I had not done the things she was accusing me of.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• A guy ordered a king size triple whopper meal. AFTER he finished his whopper he came back to complain that it was too greasy and his fries were cold as he was eating the last of them. He wanted us to replace his whole meal. I had to explain to him that if he thought his food was dissatisfactory he should have brought it to our attention before he ate the whole meal. He was so mad and left.
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My worst customer was also a waitress where I cooked. She would bring her friends in when she wasn't working and come up to the waitress area to tell me what they wanted. She would always say she was writing up the ticket, but I knew she would never give it to me. She wanted free food for herself and all her friends. I would just remind her I wasn't allowed to cook until I had a ticket! Lol! Then she would get furious and write down an order of french fries and come back and tell me she forgot this sandwhich and that meal, etc. Again I would remind her I needed a ticket if I was going to cook. This is the same girl who threatend me from across the counter with a butcher knife! I was SO thankful for the counter.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Other than that, my worst customers were the ones who complained about how terrible a cook I was so they would get their meals for free. I would get their plates back with one tiny piece of food left!! Yeah, right it was SO awful!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I worked at a buffet once and one of the servers had mistakenly cleaned on of the customers tables when they had gone to get more food. I was working the cash register and the lady came to me in tears wanting a refund because of that. Nobody had been seated at her table but she still wanted a refund because she was so upset she couldn't eat anymore, she was saying this while eating her dessert!
    Anonymous

• Two of the worst ones I have delt with were on Black Friday 06 and Black Friday 07, and let me tell you, it seems to be only the impateint people that go shopping that day!!!

06 at JcPennys- I got yelled at and called racists (by a young black/african american (whats the correct term?)because I asked for her id because she was using a credit card. Which I did with every single check and/or credit card customer. I just ignored her and rang up the next customer. Who thankfully was nice and told me that that lady had done nothing but complain since she got in line behind her.

07 at Toys R Us- I got called a bi*ch, and several other mean names becuase a person read the sign wrong and thought the toy he picked up was a different price. I asked if he wanted me to call a manager to double check the price, and he freaked out (It was a whole $5 more than what he thought.)
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 7:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have had sooo many horrible customers when I worked in retail, it is hard to pinpoint just one. I have been called rude and offensive names, and have had things thrown at me. It just surprises me how rude people really can be over something so little like a dollar difference in price, or we dont carry their sizes, or that we cant follow them around like little dogs. I managed a juniors retail store for awhile after working as a sales rep and let me tell you working in retail has ruined the way I see people in general.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I remember one customer I had was being very rude to me. This was awhlie ago so I can't remember too well. I just know that she was complaining about how the prices weren't right, when they were, and going on and on about how all coupons should apply to everything price (even though in the ads they specifically say what every coupon applies to and restrictions). So after about 10 minutes of her ranting and being rude, she gave me her credit card to pay.

I looked at the name and it ended up being the woman my husband and I were buying our house from! So I said, Oh, I'm buying your house from you. How are you? She started apologizing to me and she looked so embarassed. I laughed so hard afterwards!

I had so many mean people when I worked retail. Too many to count. At least now I can look back and laugh at them!
    Anonymous

• ok i dont have a story i was just reading all the above and i have to say im sorry for u haveing to deal with people like that. i was raised to respect others and the fact that your working and maken dues..good for you..
    now...livinglovesong....i hate to say i do black fri every year and im the one with a sleepy smile on my face and good mornings, but i admit i have seen the way customers treat workers and other custmers.. (one blk fri i saw a get away walmart cart heading right for a women that was bent over looking at something so i ran and stoped it, needless to say it bumped her on the back of her foot she screamed at me and stalked me the whole store, bistanders even told her if it wasent for me she wouldve toppled right over i shouldve left it alone and laughed the rest of the day. ) but everyone know...were not all rude nut jobs xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I worked at Mail Boxes Etc. and since they are the middle man there is a huge surcharge. One customer got so mad at the price she threw her credit card at me and it really hurt. :( Another crazy lady brought in a package to ship that had been in her garage. A scorpion crawled in there and she expected me to stick my hand in there. I told her I wasn't paid enough for that.

Then I worked at Dollar General where the average customer was a crack head.  One lady screamed at me after I scanned all the cat food she put on the counter.  Fine whatever, I didn't say anything to her.  Then she's spinning my bag rack and demanding to know how many bags there are.  I told her I can't count when she's spinning it.  I started laughing, she started screaming, I told her to have a nice day in a very sweet voice and she threatened to kick my ass.  I still giggle over that one.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2009