Can unborn babies be harmed by mother being too stressed/upset?

I am going through hell right now and I am so distraught that I lie around in bed all day and cry or sleep. Can babies be harmed by too much stress? I am not hysterical and do not run around and scream and all, but I am really depressed and I feel sick to my stomach all the time. I'm 36 weeks today.

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I found this link that I think will answer your questions.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,6172,00.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Hey i'm also 36 weeks and I am constantly crying, and tired and depressed. The baby is still moving but it does seem to be less. Anyways if you want to talk you can PM me, i'm pretty miserable.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I believe so only because when i was pregnant with my son my ex put me through hell and i also was always depressed when i went into labor everything seemed normal until they broke my water and discovered my son had already gone number 2 while still in the womb so my water was full of maconium. They had the full pediatric team there when i delivered so they could start antibiotics for him. I had a reaction to it that caused an infection and made my temp rise to 104, they said i almost slipped into a coma. My son and i were on antibiotics for 4 days and he was on a breathing maching for 4 days also. It sucked and really scared me so now i try not to stress to much because it can cause a lot of harm. My son and i are fine now but it was very scary.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes i believe so too. Your heart rate goes up and your blood flows faster and you just get more up set and your baby's heart rate will go up too. Too much stress is bad, i had to have stress test once a week the last few months cause my daughters heart beat was too fast for the doctors liking and he was concerned. I was fighting wtih my mother at the time. Screaming and arguing. So yes i can say it has a direct connection with your baby. If you want more answers you can ask your doctor and he or she can tell you more.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009