Tolerance

As most of you know, I am a teacher in CA and Harvey Milk Day just passed. I already know what my requirements are when I go back to teaching as far as tolerance goes, but I was just looking around at some of the activities that they will be doing in the elementary grades. Just curious.

I was thinking about tolerance and all, I understand the importance of protecting kids from bullies and helping kids feel safe. They should not be harrassed or insulted by anyone at school, for any reason.

I was just thinking though that recently some of the people here, who consider themselves tolerant, have said about Christians lately (stupid, ignorant, blind, dingbats, brainwashed, afraid of the truth, etc.).

Do you think that these comments are okay, or are they intolerant of others? How would you feel if some kid said these things to a Christian child in school?

I am not saying you don't have free speech, but I'm curious.

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is never ok to be insulting even if we don't agree, those comments are intolerant of others too.

Answer by older at 7:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have a question: What is/who is Harvey Milk?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• cinnamon mom, I am Catholic. I am sure it will be no surprise to you that much of what you say I don't agree with. However, I have never called you any of those names. I have never accused you or your beliefs are the product of brainwashing. In return, you have shown me the same respect and allowed me to state my beliefs without being accuseing me of being brainwashed.

The ironic thing is, the woman that speak the most about tolerance are the same ones I see calling Christians brainswashed and accuse most the hate being from Christians to other Christians. Yea, we have a Catholic basher every few days, but for the most part I get respect from Christians.

When I am called brainwashed I wonder who the person is trying to convince. Me or themselves?
    Anonymous

• I like the clarity offered by imagining saying it to a kid.
    Anonymous

• i read all the time that mormons are brainwashing people exploring that belief. in fact a lady posted she was asking about the mormon faith and the first poster said your on your way to being brain washed. i felt so bad for the poster, as if this poster is not a smart person that can think for herself. i felt as if she was being attacked for just being curious about something. she was of no faith i think and was just asking. i answered that she should ignore attacks like that that she knows & is capable of seeing what she saw in it all. our church is highly tolerable of other beliefs & we never ever do what i have heard some churches do is talk down or make videos/movies demeaning a faith or group. i have however used the word or phase closeminded only cause i don't know how else to explain an answer but to be rude & say someone is stupid, lies, branwashed etc is wrong.i think ignorant is ok casue it means they don't know!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• but not the way people tend to use it on here. yes it's bad then.
    melody77

• "Tolerance" around here is one-sided. The non Christians, homosexual supporters, BO supporters expect you to be tolerant of their views, but when it comes to Christians, anti BO, anti homosexual beliefs they're VERY INTOLERANT!  Hypocrasy at its finest.

Anonymous

• Harvey Milk was a very famous openly gay politician in San Francisco during the 70's. He is known for doing a lot for the gay rights movement. He was shot by a man that he worked with for a while. He now has an elementary school named after him. His life story is portrayed by Sean Penn in the Academy Award winning film Milk.

A few days ago, our governor passed a bill that would establish Harvey Milk Day as an official holiday in our state. On May 22 all schools will celebrate and commemorate the life of a man who fought for gay equality.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• anon 02
    I am "The non Christians, homosexual supporters, BO supporters" and i feel that (for the most part) I am very tolerant. ...We are all human. and sometimes i might let my emotions get the best of me. ...But i feel that i am usually very respectful of others.

And everyone is getting off topic. this has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with how a child would feel if these same words were directed towards them.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ""Tolerance" around here is one-sided. The non Christians, homosexual supporters, BO supporters expect you to be tolerant of their views, but when it comes to Christians, anti BO, anti homosexual beliefs they're VERY INTOLERANT! Hypocrasy at its finest."

and your example is soooo much better how???? I fit into 2 out of 3 of those catagories (sorry not a Obama supporter). .. and I don't mind debating.. it's when someone calls out homosexuals, or their parents for being bad parents, or evil/wrong.. I have a problem with.. I don't care what religion a person is, as long as they don't hurt others while following it (and no, I don't blame the religion, I blame the individual).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009