The Flu Mist for kids

I have never done the flu shot before, however this season I would like to get both my kids 2 and a half and 5 the flu shot, when I went in to inquire about times they do the shot etc they told me both my boys could get the flu mist..has anyone used this on young kids? Im not so much worried about it with my 5 year old as i am my youngest. Mostly because I hear conflicting reports that its for 3 and older and then 2 and older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• ok dont quote me on this and please no bashing just referring to what i was told. i was told the mist isent good for kids cause its 100% H1N1. something about a 2yr old dieing from it and that whats recomeneded is the shot for kids..again dont quote me just saying what i was told when i was considering the samething..i myself am doing the shot for my kiddies ages 3 1/2 and 12 yrs. better safe then sorry i guess, its new and thats what worries me. good luck mama its a tough one xo
    Anonymous

• My 2yo daughter had it 3 weeks ago. Reg flu not swine. She was fine and aside from the pain of the shot she didnt have to take tylenol or anything. Its only risky when kids with asthma take it. Its not allowed anyway with asthma
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Just to be clear I was asking about the Reg Flu Mist not H1N1 :) Thanks for the thoughts!!!! I appreciate it!

Steph319- the flu mist isnt allowed with asthma right? but the shot is? im not sure on this one
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 7:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• ohhh duh on me i am so sorry ( very tired here ) i thought H1N1 mist...not just the reg flu...sorry im the idiot on cafemom tonight..reg flu its fine they have been doing it long enough and like above said..no asthma..i did do reg flu shot with my kiddies we did the reg shot and both were fine no tylenol or anything..3 1/2 yr old was still running crazy eating and sleeping, no fever..just a normal day.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you can only get the mist if you DONT have asthma
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Haha no worries Anon, I am half away myself. I guess for some reason when I think flu shot I think ppl always get sick after but I guess that would be if you had a low immune system or something to begin with.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 7:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• and by yes I mean the shot IS allowed with asthma
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• and dont be worried if your kids do get sick from the shot. It happens to a lot of ppl and just makes you feel crappy for a day or two. nothing to worry about!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• my 2 1/2 year old got the mist last week. the only problem we had was he blew his nose afterward which is a no no. lol. the lady said it was fine anyway. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• lol...thank u, its just one of thoes nights...only 730pm here and im ready for bed...but i agree with steph319.
    now i did get my shot 2 weeks ago and i was all sore and felt like poop..so when it was time for my kiddies i was ready for the soreness and the poop feeling but again all was fine and normal..(:
    Anonymous