any suggestions for adult acne?

so for whatever reason i am still dealing with acne at 27 years old. Anyone ever win this fight and what did you use?

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 7:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i use proactive it is really good
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Retin-A. Sucks for a little while(red, sore, flakey skin), but it really works...and helps you stay young looking! Two birds with one stone!! LOL!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 7:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• rkoloms...seriously, do you save that post or something and post it EVERY SINGLE TIME someone asks about acne? Annoying!!! It also doesn't work.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Anyways..lol, sorry about all that. I tried proactive and over the counter kits and none of those worked. The only thing that has worked for me is antibacterial soap in the morning and at night followed by eucerin lotion to help prevent drying out my face. My acne sucks and this has helped me a lot. I still get a few pimples here and there but not as bad as it was. Hope this helps...oh yea, check back with me in a couple of weeks and let me know how this worked...lmao!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes - I get cystic acne. After wasting lots of money on this and that. I finally just went to see a dermatologist.

He got me cleared up real quick with some mild anti-biotics (pills and facial cream).

I wish I had just gone and seen an expert years earlier, it would have saved me so much time and money.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Being a Skin-Care specialist I would suggest going to a Dermatoligist. Acne is a medical condition and these over the counter products will not be much help. Plus some who think they have acneic skin really don't. See a dermatoligist.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• cold creme is the only thing that works alright for me. I still have acne but I have very oily skin so if I use anything that's not super moisturizing I'm broken out in an hour. I cut out foundation and powder and that cut my acne in half in about a week. You may be allergic to something you're using or you may not be replacing your makeup often enough. I agree with Babydoll, go see a dermatologist and make sure it actually is acne. Good luck. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• metrogel. It is by prescription only. I had a bad sunburn and my doctor gave me that. But I discovered if you have a pimple it disappears in one day .All that other acne medication makes you get red and does not work until after a few days.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i have rosacea (which has the appearance of acne, but is actually auto immune related) i treaated it like acne for years, only to find out that it wasn't. if i'm not careful i get secondary infections that have to be treated with oral antibiotics- i use a topical antibiotic on problem areas, daily. its prescribed...

HOWEVER, i have found that proactive is very helpful in treating it, and easing the redness- and helps prevent MAJOR upsets. so, i use that too. it does not interfere with the antibiotic that i use.

i would say, go get it checked, it may NOT be acne. i will add, that i am only 25, and have had this condition for years, which is extremely rare in people this young, it generally affects the elderly. so, that is to say, that you never know!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2009