• In the Spotlight:

How often do you get a sitter for you child(ren)?

And how long do you leave them with the sitter? A couple hours, all day, or over night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never have gotten a sitter. We have never left her with anyone, not even family member. If i do ever i wouldn't leave for the whole day or night maybe a few hours.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i only do family,and its for a few hours to go on a romantic date,my son never spends the night for fun only when i cant take him somewhere is when he stays at my moms or at MIL i think he stays to visit once every 2 weeks. i didnt really start leaving him to get ice cream and stuff like that with my friends till he was a little over 2.he visisted when he was about 5 months.(for an hour or so)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Once a month she might stay with my mom and then 3 times a week she goes to a sitter so I can shop or nap.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Wanted to add my DD had really bad "colic" otherwise she wouldn't have been to the baby-sitter so much.
    MoonLover06

• My parents and inlaws are both in town and within 10 mins of my house, so there's never been a need for sitter - but he sure loves his grandparents. In face, he's spending the night tomorrow night with his grandmother because his 8 year old sister is having a slumber party. (He started spending the night, maybe once a month or so, with his grandparents when he was 8 months old)

Answer by missanc at 7:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My baby is only 8 months old, so we haven't gotten a sitter too many times. My MIL has watched her a couple of times so we can have a date night, but that's about it
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 8:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My kids are both teens and they babysit. I can tell you flat out that honestly, they have NEVER been asked to do an overnight babysitting job - even with people we were really good friends with, nor would I let them do that.

Now, I do have to say, I've watched my friends kids overnight, and had them watch my kids overnight before, for certain situations. It's all been things like the Mom is in the hospital having another baby, or Mom is in the hospital sick and Dad is deployed, or Dad has just got back from deployment, and like a week after he gets home, Mom and Dad go away for a weekend.

But as far as parents going out, or it's an anniversary or birthday, no overnight babysitting.

Oh, one thing though - it might be different if we lived near family. My mil has babysat my niece overnight when my sil and bil were going out. She just sees it as getting to have a sleepover with Grandma and Grandpa.

hth :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• We haven't gotten a sitter for our son in over 2 years. He has autism, and it's near impossible to afford a respite caregiver. When we did go out, we had my mother babysit for us. Respite caregivers rates are anywhere from $10.00 ~$ 50.00/hour. Yes, there are agencies that help, but according to our state dept. of rehabilitation services, our son "isn't disabled enough" for their services. WTH!!!! So I'm grateful that me and DH enjoy spending almost every waking hour with our son!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2009