At what age did you first introduce a sippy cup?

My son will be 7 months old in 3 days, and for the last 3 weeks I have been giving him the sippy cup during the day and only giving him bottles at nap time and bed time. He does really good with the cups and doesn't seem to mind at all. But my family insists it is way to early and that I'm giving it him too much. What do you ladies think?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my DD on a real cup at 5 months. Tell your family to shove it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• 5 months but one of the soft ones and by 8 months he was on sippy cup
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I started my son with a sippy at 5 months.

Answer by missanc at 7:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I gave my daughter a sippy cup at 6 months. She isn't exactly a pro at tipping the cup up so she can actually get the juice, but she gets it ocassionally. haha. I don't think it was too early, because it's not like juice is her main source of nutrition. I basically just give it to her to teach her how to use a cup, and for a little more hydration.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 7:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My sister wouldn't introduce a sippy until her son was 10-11 months old he is 15 months old now and will not what so ever take a sippy no matter what she puts in it. My friend has a son and she just started him on a sippy he is 7 months he took right to it. My daughter's however my oldest I started on a sippy at 3 months she took right to it I gave her ones with the playtex lids she took herself off a bottle when she was 9 months old. My youngest however I didn't start on a sippy until she was 6 or 7 months old she is 21 months now though, but she would not give up her bottle until she was 17 months old. So I think IMO that is it easier to introduce early so they get use to it, but it is also up to you don't listen to what everyone else tells you do what you want.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• PS I had people tell me that I started to early and that they wouldn't be off the bottle until after 2, but guess what? They were off before 2 they also told me I potty trained way to early and they wouldn't be potty trained until after they were two, but guess what? I started at 12 months with both my girls. Everyone kept telling me I was making a mistake cause if I start early it will only cause problems later on, but my 4.5 year old was fully trained at 19 months and my youngest now is 21 months and has been trained for about 2 weeks now she just turned 21 months on the 11th so what I am saying is don't listen to everyone else listen to your child when you feel your child is ready
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I've been trying to get my 10 month old to drink it since she was about 7 months, and having the hardest time ever! She won't take it by herself so I have to put it in her mouth, even then she just blows instead of sucks and thinks it's so funny. I've tried removing the thing inside to make it flow faster so she'll know it's a drink, still doesn't work. But I'm also having a tough time getting her to hold her own bottles STILL at 10 months! She refuses lol.

My oldest, however, was a sippy pro by 10 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• 7 months, she mastered in within a few days. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• my daughter was 4/5months old. She was totally off a bottle @ 5months old...Wouldn't take it , if you gave her one. She just didn't like them.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I personally think the longer you wait the harder it is. With bottle weaning, potty training, etc.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2009