10 months old/sippy cups

I've been working with my 10 month old on holding her own bottles and learning the sippy for almost 4 months now and having a really hard time. With bottles, I'll lean back in the chair so she's kind of laying and then put her hands on the bottle, and she'll just let it go or pull her hands away when I take them, or play with the bottle. I've tried laying her down on a pillow because that's how my oldest learned, but that didn't work either, she just sat back up. With sippies, at first she actually did try, only couldn't tilt the cup so she was sucking air. Now, she either wants to just play with it or I have to put it in her mouth and she blows instead of sucks. I've tried removing the plastic piece inside so it'll flow faster and she'll know it's a drink, but still nothing.

Any other suggestions or different ways you got your little one to drink from a sippy or hold their own bottle?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is the same way she is 11 mths know she finally holds her own bottle but she didnt want to tell she was 10 mths she pulled her hands away to and to this day she still cant hold a sippy cup up she tryes to suck out of it so I bought her a cup with a straw and she loves them she holds it her self and everything the straw mite get a little dirty and they r hard to clean so I got those pipe cleaners there in the arts and crafts section there like wire in the middle and the have like soft bristles on the end I put to of them together and it got it clean but if u do get her the cup with a straw I would still practice with the regular sippy cup so she can learn.
    Baileysmom1029

Answer by Baileysmom1029 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Have you tried different brands of sippies, I had to try a couple different ones to "fit" my son. You may also what to try the tumblers with straws. He did much better with those.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 8:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Try a straw type sippy cup...so she doesn't have to tilt. My daughter never held her own bottle...she was onto sippy cup only by the time she figured out you have to tilt those things back! I like the Nuby Flip and Sip cup...no lid to worry about but the straw does flip closed. It rarely leaks. Plus, you can pull the entire straw section out and put it in the dishwasher basket for an easy clean.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Sippy cups with handles seem to be easier for my 8-month-old to hold (he has only just recently started holding his own bottle). We use Nuby brand, with a silicone sippy which seems to have been an easier transition from bottle nipple.
    sarahshoe2

Answer by sarahshoe2 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My doctor had me start giving my son a sippy cup for juice and water between 5 and 6 months. I could not get him to drink out of it for nothing so while I was giving him a bottle I slipped out the bottle and put sippy cup in his mouth. He has been using one since.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009