I can't get my 4 year old son to go pee by himself anymore

He is 4 and a half and has been potty trained for over a year now. He was doing fine using the bathroom by himself for about 6 months, then one day he started asking for help again. This started sometime in the summer. I thought it would just be a phase, but is has been about four months now and is getting worse. It started with him occasionally asking for help, but now it is everytime. I ignore it and tell him if he really needs to go he can go by himself. My husband tends to give into his requests more often. He throws screaming fits when no one goes to help him. He has wet his pants several times because he just won't go by himself.
He usually waits until the last second and then tells me he needs to go pee. I say "okay, go use the toilet". Then he starts asking for help and when I don't give in it turns into a huge screaming temper tantrum. He still poops by himself fine, doesn't ask for help, just goes on his own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At his age for something like that I think a rewards chart would work great to get him back on track. They have cute free ones online if you do a search, like leaves falling off a tree, so he would color one leaf after using the bathroom on his own unassisted with no fights. Then he gets some sort of prize once all leaves are colored (or whatever kind you do).
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2009