What is your opinion of the Freemasons?

My dad is in the process of becoming one. He also hopes for my little brother to become one when he's old enough. I have mixed feelings about it. It just bothers me so much that they're so secretive. Blah. He says that all they do is charity work, but I know that's just a "cover" for something much bigger. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but the whole organization takes on a whole new meaning when my own father is being initiated into it, you know?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont think they are secretly planning the NWO & are orchestrater's of everything our government does. but the secrecy & ties to some of the founding fathers does leave room for concern imo. my DH has talked about becoming one someday b/c he comes from a long line of them...something about being able to tie his genealogy to a big name or something.

if it makes you feel better...from all the documentaries ive watched about Freemasons, only the head ppl are evil haha. the normal "lower level" men aren't allowed into the evil doings of the conspiracies.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• very secretive.. i have very little knowledge of them.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My Grandfather, Dad & Brother were/are Masons. Never seemed strange to me. People always fear what they don't know much about. Google it and you can get a ton of info - it's not so secret really. I wouldn't worry... there are secrets in every one of those brotherhood type clubs.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Who knows what it's really about since there is so much secrecy? If I were him I would proceed with extreme caution. I would be more concerned about aligning myself with a group that may have more going on than even some members are aware of. I wouldn't care so much about how many generations of my family were members. Of course, this is assuming that the stories are true. The stories may just be that...stories. Who knows? The secrecy aspect is something I wouldn't care for. I value honesty and transparency.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My only thing is that you really don't need to keep things secretive unless you have something to hide. I don't have them figured out or anything, but I wouldn't be happy if my dad joined them. I am sure they do great things, but I don't trust the organization.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It's really not any different the any other fratunity, serority or anything along those lines. They can't recruit, but if you ask one about what they do they can give you information. As they say "ask one to be one"

http://freemasonry.org/ Freemasonry is the oldest and largest world wide fraternity dedicated to the Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of a Supreme Being. Although of a religious nature, Freemasonry is not a religion. It urges its members, however, to be faithful and devoted to their own religious beliefs.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

Freemasonry is a fraternal organisation that arose from obscure origins in the late 16th to early 17th century. Freemasonry now exists in various forms all over the world, with a membership estimated at around 5 million, including just under two million in the United States and around 480,000 in England, Scotland and Ireland.[1][2] The various forms all share moral and metaphysical ideals, which include, in most cases, a constitutional declaration of belief in a Supreme Being.[3]

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Ive never studied their inner workings other than to know they are a bit secretive. However the several people Ive known who were FreeMasons or Eastern Stars were very nice and inviting people.

Didnt push anything, just nice everyday type of folks.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Mixed feelings. I had relatives who were freemasons, and they werent evil. BUT there are elements of it which disturb me. The secrecy for one. The idea of commiting to something you dont know what youre commiting to is really crazy to me. They have ranks, and knowledge only comes as you go up in rank. , So in theory , until you get to the top you havent even a clue what you have signed up to. - thats not something i would be comfortable with - and i find it hard to understand why anyone else would, EXCEPT for the fact it is well known there are benefits from being a member in favours etc from other members. Which yet again is disturbing, I like the idea of an even playing field, the idea of people getting things because of who they know goes against my sense of justice.. Loyality to a club over the community as a whole --- open to abuse. ! add the threats for talking or leaving and it is on the whole to me unappealing.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My father belonged, and just for this fact they have to be an ok org., my father was a very honorable man and nothing he could have belonged to would have been bad.

Answer by older at 6:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009