Screaming bedtime... help?!

My twins are 11 months - 2 weeks away from a year old. We dont rock them to sleep or anything like that - they get put in their cribs and they get themselves to sleep. They arent used to anything else, even sleeping anywhere else other than their cribs. My one daughter cries as her method of self-soothing. It usually works well for her, but every now and then we get a night where she just doesnt want to go down and screams (ok, well her normal crying is the kind that eats at you). Anyway - any ideas on how i can make going to bed easier on her?? If i go in when shes crying and try to soothe her - she just cries harder when i leave.

KeikoRose

Asked by KeikoRose at 8:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her cry! She will eventually fall asleep.
    My dd was the same way. Shes 2 now.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 9:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• yeah - we do that now - theres just some evenings where it lasts longer and just... eats at me, ya know. =/
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 9:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• If you find the answer let me know..my 12 month old son will cry indefinitely. Some nights 30 minutes (which seems like hours) and wakes my 3 year old. Then he wakes every 2 hours anyway, no matter what I do. Its killing me seriously.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• "Crying is her method of self soothing." No, crying isn't soothing. .

Try helping them relax before bed. A little rocking. Maybe a brief massage. There needs to be something to relax her. Crying is not relaxing. Your goal shouldn't be that your kid cries herself to sleep! Your goal should be that your child happily goes to sleep in a relaxed state. That is how she will get the best quality of rest. Examine your bedtime routine, and see where you could build in a relaxing spot so that your kids go into the crib relaxed. Sometimes if my one year old is tense, I 'll put the side of her crib down, and give her a brief massage. She is more relaxed, and able to drift off quicker.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• try a lavender bath and lotion rub down. walmart brand is good. so is the Johnson and Johnson brand. We use it at least once a week or more when my son cries for more than 20 minutes.

Jeremiahsmomi

Answer by Jeremiahsmomi at 9:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2009