Has bleach baths helped you manage your eczema or childs eczema?

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• OMG No!! Why would you give a child a bleach bath for eczema? Our son has had it since birth and we use a non steroid cream when it gets bad. He's 7 yrs old now and it's much better, it only comes on when he's going to have asthma problems. JMO but I would never use bleach.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yea I don't think so..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It was recommended by my allergist... and I have heard of it before. It is to help cleanse skin of bacteria I guess. People with eczema have excessive amounts of bacteria on skin, including strep. I am curious if it has helped others
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• By the way it is a capful in bathwater, so rather diluted. She has been on many creams nothing successful yet, after seeming regular Dr. dermatologist, and allergist.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• it is highly diluted but It cant be good since you and your kids do need most of the other bacteria that is being killed along with whatever extra bacteria your body produces.

My sister has eczema and she just uses what the dermatologist prescribed, and she used it constantly for a long time and now you would never knew she had it and when she starts to notice it again she uses the medicine as needed. Sometimes it takes weeks, even months for the eczema to get better but once it does it should be managable, but you have to give it that time before you quit and try something else
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Never tried it. What works for DS is dove soap for sensitive skin and NOT taking a bath every day. If he gets "dirty" on a no-soap day he is cleaned with plain water. Also, he is coated in Aveeno baby cream on damp skin. That has it under 99% control.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• She is almost 9 months we have been battling this since 5wks... it is recommended by allergist... not something I just decided to do... what kind of creams are you all on... we have tired various steroid creams, non-steroid creams, antibiotics constantly being oral or topical... argh... something has to work soon.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• have you looked in to allergies? most of the time eczema is a problem in the diet. my son gets bad spots if he has dairy. some laundry detergents also bother him. i never found a cream that helped for more than a few weeks. i would not recommend using bleach at all, especially in your childs bath. good luck... i hope your babe feels better soon!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Yes she has food allergies... nothing that effects diet that we know of.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have never heard of it and it does not sound healthy at all. Bleach by products are carcenigens.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009