Used Carseats

Why would you buy a used car seat? I just don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I didnt buy one I was given one and why not? Although my ds is 10, when he was an infant I was given a gently used seat that met the safety regulations and used it. Now my sister is expecting and has been given TWO infant seats one barely used the other not at all, they both met the regulations why NOT!?!?! For real, I was and pretty sure you were a baby when car seats where not as a big deal as they are now and I turned out GREAT, how bout you?
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I am the queen of thrift shop shopping. I would never buy a used car seat. My daughter's safety is more important than any bargain. Why would I take the chance of it having been in a car accident?

Anonymous

• It's really tacky to think that you are fine so car seat safety is overblown. What about all the kids that die every year due to being improperly restrained? It's the leading cause of death in children.

Anonymous

• I'm not sure that I would buy a used one from someone I didnt know. B/c you dkon't know if it's been in an accident or not but if I know the person and know that it's ok I don't see what the problem is?
    Anonymous

• NO, my reply clearly stated that each carseat met safety requirements, DUH!!! And I simply gave a fact that carseats have only been a big ordeal in the last 30 years or so, there are billions of people alive and well who had no carseats as infants, oppossed to those that do or did. A simple accurate observation is all!
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't buy a used carseat, but I did use my niece's infant seat. I knew the history of it, that it had never been in an accident, it had not expired, she's only 14 months older than my son, so I couldn't see the sense in buying a new one (for my last and very unexpected child) when there was a perfectly good one just sitting there. I'm not saying pick one up at a garage sale, but in my case I don't see the problem.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• It's better for a child to be in a used carseat than no carseat at all. So if a parent is too poor to purchase one, and is given one for free, wouldn't you prefer they use the used seat? I have used carseats that were bought from people that I know on a very personal level. Individuals that I would trust to with the safety of my child. Her current seats are brand new, but when I was a single mom, full time college student, with no income? Sure I used the carseat a friend sold me.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I'm on Welfare and you better believe if it came down to Internet or anew car seat my kid would get a new car seat.

MotherHubbard - There used to be less cars on the road and lower speed limits. How do you know they weren't in car accidents.

Anonymous

• Look anon punk calling me out! LOL Please...if I claim I knew they met safety regulations I obviously personally knew each carseat owner, as does my sister, OKAY! Lower speed limits, prove it, less cars prove it as well.
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I have been a mom for 22 years and always felt......If you cannot afford a new car seat...you cannot afford to have a kid!!

Seriously this and women who buy used baby bottles...these are cheap compared to what comes down the road!

What happens when your child needs school clothes or money for a field trip? wants to play in sports and needs $80 cleats or basketball shoes? I just wish parents would see the bigger picture...something beyond NOW........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2009