4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours for a 10 day old???

My dd is 10 days old and i bottle feed her breast milk at night and formula during the day ( no bashing i dont wanna hear it or see any arguments about which is better blah blah) and it doesnt matter whether its formula or breast milk im feeding her, she crys like CRAZY if i dont feed her atleast 4 ounces and acts like she's starving! i start off with just two and then when thats out and im done burping her she shakes her head with her mouth open looking for the bottle and crying till i give her more, her pediatrician said 2 ounces every 2 hours during the day and every 4 hours (at most) at night.. but she acts like 2 ounces is just a snack.. im afraid she might get reflux but i dont wanna starve her either...can giving her this much REALLY cause any harm to her? she seems just happy with our "on demand" schedule she is already back to her birth weight and no constipation or any problems!

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was eatin 4oz at 10 days old every 3 hours now hes 2 wks eatin 5 oz! U can give her more u know ur baby best
    Anonymous

• I feed "on demand". I figure that I know when I'm hungry and the baby knows when he's hungry and when he's full. You keep at it. I fed our newborn 2-4 oz every 2-4 hours. It varied, I took my queues from her. At 10 days, there's been hardly enough time to develop a schedule, but you'll see one in time. Congratulations on your new pride & joy!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Feed the baby when the baby is hungry. Don't try to force feed every two hours. Don't wake the baby up to eat unless the baby is underweight. I don't think it's right at all to feed a baby then two hours later feed him/her again regardless if they're hungry or not. Think about it, would you want to be woken up from a nice peaceful sleep to be forcefed when you're not hungry? If the baby is hungry feed her.
    Anonymous

• Honestly that seems like alot of formula/breast milk for a 10 day old. Have you tried 2 ounces then a paci? Making sure your burping every ounce or so. How big of a baby is she? My dd was 8'6 and she ate 3ounces at about a month old if I remember right. Every baby is different. I think that you really need to listen to your pediatrician as we have no idea of how big your baby is. Seems like a bigger baby would require more.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Every child is different. I remember my baby sleeping through 51/2 hours and he was breastfed so I called the pedi. He said every 2-3 hours you should feed him, so WAKE HIM UP!!!! Every experienced mom knows you don't wake up a sleeping baby! My son wasn't 2 weeks, and yes he was breastfed. You are formula feeding which is more filling than breastmilk, so maybe your baby wants that full heavier feeling. Kind of like you having a big steak dinner, and then you have a salad. The feeling you have is different. If you burp the baby well, is not constipated, is healthy then I would feed the little one til full and goes to sleep. Look at it this way, totally breastfeeding moms literally do not know how many ounces their children are getting, and they breastfeed alot of times on demand, and have no idea how many ounces and the babies are healthly. Feed your little one til no longer hungry. Then you get YOUR rest! good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i agree with seeker, my son ate on a routine schedule, followed the book without a flaw. but my daughter eats when she wants to and now is starting to develop a schedule. each kid is totally diff.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Feeding her more will not cause reflux. HOWEVER sometimes babies who are big eaters are do so to comfort their sore throats from refluxing. If she is hungry and takes that much, give it to her. :) If she starts to act like she is in pain while laying down then talk to your ped, as she may be comfort eating because of reflux but even still don't stop feeding her what she wants.

As for the every two hour thing, don't stress about the time between the bottles unless she is going over 4 hours during the day or 6 hours at night (after she is a month old she can go as long as she wants). Let her tell you when she is hungry, then feed her what she wants.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I know when we first took our little one to the doctor, she told us that 4 oz is a bit on the higher end but feed your baby what your baby wants. (my daughter was only eating about 2-3oz every three hours at 2 weeks old. I do not believe in starving babies so if she is hungry feed her. She will spit it up if it is to much. Congrats on your new baby, what is her name?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I would say at her age she should be fed on demand, and as much as she wants, whether it is formula or breast milk. I agree that every baby is different and I would definitly not watch the clock.....feed her when she wants it. My baby was always hungry the first two months.... I couldn't even put her down (I was breastfeeding) it turned out I wasnt making enough milk and her dr. told me to supplument with formula after I nurse. WOW! What a difference a full, satisfied tummy makes! She tends to be a grazer (she is 7 months now)..... She has such a wacky feeding schedule. I just think all babies are unqiue in their own way. Hang in there. I hope things get better for you!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 11:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I say no one knows your child like you do! No book in the world can tell you what to do...
    My Son was up to 4oz every 2-3hrs in the first 2days before we even left the hospital. he was born at 8lbs 3oz. When we left the hosp he was 7lbs 14oz...But within 2 days he gained his weight back. By the time he was 3wks old he was up to 7oz. he will be 1month this coming Friday and he is at 7oz. I say as long as hes not throwing it up or anything...Then its fine....
    Now...I know this is a big no no to the docs...But My son is already getting about a tablespoon of baby cereal in his bottle at night. I give him 6oz formula and then a tbls of cereal and hes sleeps from 10pm-6am. He does soo good...having normal B.M.'s and not throwing it up. Keeps him very content. One Night i forgot to give him some in his bottle and he was up every 2hrs wanting more food.
    oxcarirenexo

Answer by oxcarirenexo at 12:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009