How come they say a family that prays togather stays togather???Not True

I no alot of couples getting divorced that go to CHURCH and are Religious .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not sure how to answer this.

If you are going through something I will be happy to pray for you if you want.

There are good praying couples that do get divorced. It is sad.
    Anonymous

• Uh huh and your point? Are you a child of divorce?
    Anonymous

• Being religious and being spiritual are two totally different things! We do not have a home church, although I grew up both religious and spiritual, my DH and I are very spiritual. We pray together as well as seperate. IMO, people make a close connection between being religious and spiritual, even though you can be one without the other very easily.
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I really don't know how to answer..DH and I are christians, go to church, pray, and try to live by the Bible as much as we can. We know were only human and will Sin. As we see it, divorce isnt acceptable. The Bible states divorce is allowed on the terms of Adultery. Our marriage is not perfect by far. When we do have our issues and our differences, we talk to God seperatly, and pray, and we talk to God together, and pray together about our issue. There are a lot of things that go on behind closed doors, they maybe church going people, but it doesn't mean they abide by the Bible
    rileygirl

Answer by rileygirl at 10:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• My daughter doesnot want to go to church any more because shes so confused with that phurse thats all I was looking for somthing that makes sence to tell her.
    Anonymous

• actually it is true.. the family that prays together stays together.. but how many families are praying together.. how many families, although going to church and being religious are truly having God be the head of their home and having marriages the way God designed them to be.. with the man as the head of the home etc. and just because a family goes to church and is religious doesn't mean they have a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's a statement of 100% guarantee.

I grew up in a home (far from perfect - sometimes seemed like a mess) but we had family prayer before anyone walked out the door in the morning.

Most of the time it was so early that we were half asleep, but it was a least a couple of minutes every day where we were together before we all scattered into our busy lives...at least a few minutes together of shared tradition and belief....

....there is a bonding element to that. It may not be a strong enough to overcome all possible family problems, but I think it did help us with a lot them. Even my siblings that are not currently religious still treasure that as a good memory.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• The saying doesn't mean just if you go to church together you stay together. It means if you pray together, consult God together for your decisions and guidance, if you meditate and allow God to feel you with the Holy Spirit and listen to what He's telling you, and if you immerse yourself and your family in His word.

The saying isn't assuming that just because you follow religious rituals that your family will stay together. Instead, it means that if you and your spouse are truly walking with the Lord, then your marriage will "endure all things." (1st Corinithians 13: 7)
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i agree with thrivingmom. if the husband and wife, follow God's word, you cant go wrong.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I agree, unfortunately divorce is too common in our families. I truly believe that a lot of families are going to church right now, but at home behind closed doors they have problems. Going to church is not enough-- we need Jesus to be in our homes too.

If we seek God as a family in our hearts, praying, reading the Bible, worshiping God, talking about our faith we are going to grow together. We need the power of the Holy Spirit to combat our anger, our lust, our pride, our selfishness.

Unfortunately, being a Sunday Christian isn't cutting it anymore; there is too much against us. We cannot forget that there is a spiritual battle going on right now for our families, and it is going to get worse. We need to be watchful and we need to PRAY!!! Now, like never before!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2009