How did you quite smoking. My mom have been smoking for over 30 years. She has tried going cold turkey, she has tried the gum, patches, prescription meds, hypnosis, and nothing is working. She really wants to quite because she recently diagnosed with the start of enphazema(sorry bout the spelling), but she just can't seem to quite. HELP PLEASE! I DON'T WANNA LOOSE MY MOM, BUT I AM SCARED I MIGHT!

Asked by mamashearer at 10:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Health

• Smoking cessation classes are offered at every major hospital. They are usually free.

Answer by lawandapam at 10:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I mentioned the classes to her because our hospital does offer them, but she doesn't do good in groups. My sister and I are the same way. We all go into almost like a panic attack in groups with strangers. She is worse then I am though. Like when church is over, I can stay and talk to the other ladies, but she darts straight for the door, she has always been like this. She even finds excuses to not come to my kids b-day parties until everyone is gone. Thanks for the suggestion though

Answer by mamashearer at 10:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my suggestion is cause i have the same problem but in this case it is my mother-in-law, what made her quit was when she went to the doctor they gave her a pill for it, then me and my husband and her other son and his wife we both had baby girls in december and they changed her life too she actually cared about something/someones more then smoking. she should try to find something that makes her happy but occupied to where she don't get a chance to have a Cig! if she has things in her agenda that don't reqire able to smoke for instance my mother-in-law watches my daughter or goes tanning and or to the guy or watches my sister-in-laws baby that helps her not to smoke.
    If you get a good answer let me know casue i think that when she isn't around she does smoke!
    don't know if this helps but thought i would share with you~

Answer by Schramko at 11:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Tell her that. She "can't" quit most likely b/c she doesn't really want to. My dad quit smoking b/c he said he wanted to be around long enough to play with his Grandkids. He got a prescription for Wellbutrin & chose a "quitting day". He's been smoke free for over 2 years. My husband has been trying to quit for a while, and he finally quit when he bought his new motorcycle. He said the money we'll save by not buying cigarettes will pay for the bike payments. It worked. He LOVES his motorcycle & hasn't smoked for over a month. You really have to WANT to quit for any program, patch, gum, etc to work. Good luck to your mom!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Well she just got back from the doctors, and they gave her an inhaler that is pure nicotine, and nothing else. They said that it is all the other stuff they put in the cigs that is harmful, so she said when she finishes her last pack, she is going to start the inhaler. She is to take the entire cartridge whenever she feels the need for a cig, that way her body is still getting the nicotine that she craves without the other harmful chemicals, after a few weeks on this she should be able to recondition her thinking, and not need it anymore. They said the biggest part of the not smoking is a matter of mind. So I guess we will see

Answer by mamashearer at 3:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The only way to quit is cold turkey!I quit cold turkey back in december 2005 before christmas,I also came down with really bad pneumonia,could'nt breathe at all the ride to hospital felt like the last ride I was gonna ever get,my husband and 4 kids went nuts,trust me people only way is cold turkey,yes you will be mean and grumpy and yes you will want the smokes,just dont smoke.
    Do puzzles,try crocheting,sewing,coloring,play with playdo its fun,go for a serious run.I'm still smoke free and hate the smell of it.After a month you will be fine.

Answer by MarGeee at 8:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2008