• In the Spotlight:

How do you feel about a first grader getting suspended for bringing swiss army knife to school?

He also faces possible reform school.

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Our school as a no weapons policy and I guess that is a weapon. Seems like a lot of punishment but maybe they have to make an example to show they mean business.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Um where were his parents when he was getting ready for school? That would be my first thought, but then again my son is always trying to sneak toys into his pocket and I make him take them out and I check first. That is just me though....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I understand the suspension. But reform school may be going a little too far.
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I think it's a load of crap - especially since they showed pictures of the tool that he had, and while it's made by the same company that makes swiss army knives, it's not a swiss army knife. It's a camp mess kit tool - for eating. It's one of those spoon, fork, and, basically a glorified butter knife all attached together that folds up into a pocket knife sort of "holder" that kids use when camping.

Maybe he shouldn't have taken it, but come on! A SIX yr old taking SILVERWARE to school, because he's excited about school and he's excited about now being a CUB SCOUT for Pete's Sake, and he wanted to eat his lunch with his camp siliverware is NOT, and SHOULD NOT be classified as the same as, say, my 16 yr old taking his camp knife to school! (btw, he hasn't done that, but he's also a Scout, and authorized to carry a real camp knife, while at Scouts).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I can see him getting in trouble, because he shouldn't have taken it to school, but this is way out of line. I think, all too often, these "zero tolerance" policies are put in place NOT to protect our children from harm - which I am ALL for, but to excuse the adults in charge from having to actually use their brains and common sense and judge each situation based on the individual circumstances.

It's a travesty.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• i agree with the suspension, maybe reform school was threatened because the parents arent willing to comply or maybe they allow him to bring the knife...who knows

even if its not a swiss army knife, if its still a knife its not allowed
    Anonymous

• Zero tolerance means for every one. Do you remember the story a year or so back about the third grade class that had planned to kill their teacher?

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/15757528/detail.html

The first grader may not have meant any harm, but it is the actions of those who have meant harm that have lead to the rules we now must deal with.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I also think that maybe its more a lesson to the parents. They should watch their 5 or 6 year old close enough to make sure he doesnt take any typpe of knife to school and they should have taught him that it is not allowed.

Its sad for the kid but the parents are the ones who are stupid
    Anonymous

• yeah its a zero tolerance policy
    since its a school rule his parents should have helped him in understanding that it is not okay to bring a knife to school.

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• That's the thing - it's not a knife - it's made by the same company that makes knives. It's silverware.

Should they suspend - and send to reform school no less - a child whose parents packed their lunch and included a butter knife to spread a topping on something - say, peanut butter on some crackers?

After all, that's a knife, and is comparable to what this little boy had.

How about firing the cafeteria workers if they hand out the little plastic sealed disposable silverware packs in the secondary schools - the one with the plastic spoon, fork, and knife - because, again, it's such a small step from cutting your food to crime spree...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2009