Too late for PPD?

My daughter is 7.5 months old.
Lately I have been feeling just aweful. It is beyond just being normal mom tired and stressed. I expect that.
Yesterday she was playing with her musical toy, and I was sitting behind her and we were both laughing. Then out of nowhere I just started crying. When I was crying I was thinking to myself 'why am I upset?'
And today my fiance simply reminded me to empty soda cans before I put them in the bag to go down to recycling, otherwise they leak on the steps. And I just started bawling.
I've also lost my appetite. Which is bad because I'm still breastfeeding and I need to keep up my nutrition for her...
I'm worried I have PPD, but is it too late for that?
I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not too late for PPD, especially since you are BFing. PPD is all dependdent upon hormones, which tend to fluctuate madly for some during the whole first year after giving birth, and BFing keeps some of the pregnancy hormones going, as well as jump starting other hormones. So no, it is not too late for you to be having hormonal issues. I had messed up hormones for over a year after having my son - hot flashes, mood swings, phases of crying too much and then not being able to cry at all, weight loss and gain, etc. It was like constant PMS, plus even after I stopped BFing I made milk for 3 months! My dear husband was pretty understanding, but it was all rather debilitating to us both. I suggest mentioning it to your doc, but rest assured it PROBABLY will go away after you've quit BFing for awhile (but don't expect it to be immediate - it took me 6 months after stopping to go back to normal).
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• DEFINITELY NOT! You can start to feel the effects of PPD even after a year. There is a lot going on in our bodies, especially if you are bf'ing. Crazy hormone stuff. If you still feel this way after several days, talk to your doc. It could be PPD or it could just be a strange new phase. My son is 13 months old and I am still on an antidepressant - and I find if I forget to take it, I am a basket case. I kept forgetting to take it, and then I figured why go back on it, I was feeling fine. But then I realized I wasn't fine - I was short with the kids and dh, I would cry over nothing, and I felt completely and utterly alone, frustrated, and just plain angry most of the time. I tried my meds again and I am as mellow as can be. It is definitely NOT too late to be PPD...talk to your doc honey!!
    Anonymous

• I dont think its too late at all. I have a 6 month old and im not breastfeeding,...i feel i have some depression problems, but I have never felt bad toward my baby, or anything seroius like that. If its just a litlte crying here and there, its normal, i did that before even having a baby. i would look up the ppd signs and if you have any of those , which are much more serious than just a little moody bits here and there, then go see your doctor! cant hurt!
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I wasn't diagnosed until my DD was 18 months old. You can have symptoms for awhile and it can slowly get worse. I started having memory loss and it was attributed to a combination of PTSD and PPD.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2009