What can I do for chronic constipation in a two year old?

I have an email out to my son's pediatrician, but emails sometimes take a few days to get a response, so I wanted ideas in the meantime.

I believe my son has been constipated for a few months now. He poops, just in small amounts and it's very hard. When I give him baby laxative, it either does not work, or gives him diarrhea.

I have tried the non-constipating fruit, and fruit juices. I have a very picky eater.

What else is there to try?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Health

• Mineral oil. Bake it into your cookies. Worked like a charm on my stubborn old dad. :)
    Anonymous

• dark Karo syrup and lots of fluids?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Your son is very picky which gives me a clue. He eats what he wants or he doesn't eat. Out fox him mom. His snack isn't cherrios or kix, it is a little bowl of raisan bran. Constipating cheese and such is off the menu. He has choices that have fiber. Children don't starve, they eat and eat when they are hungry. Some kids don't drink water, or like it because they have all the the fruit juice. Try and really work with his diet. My sister was picky, and let her daughter be picky. Her daughter has been horribly constipated her whole life. She only eats meat, she hates vegtables, and fruits and refuses to eat them. This has been going since early childhood, and she is now 14.There are fiber supplements you can put in food but ask the pedi first. Good Luck.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• cut way back on, or eliminate: meat, dairy, bananas, simple grains like white flour, sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup). give him water to drink; no more than one glass of juice (like cloudy apple cider) a day. Base his diet (and the rest of the family's) on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• 1. Try karo syrup
    2. Try PediaLax (start with only half a dose)
    3. Go see your doctor, your LO shouldn't have such a hard time having a bowel movement.
    Anonymous

• I've tried the "you'll eat this or starve" thing with him, and it lasted three days and I couldn't take the crying anymore. He does eat fruits and veggies. Not a whole bunch of variety, but a lot in quantity. He eats apples, carrots, broccoli, and nectarines. The only grains he has is fiber rich cereals and fiber bars (1/2 a bar on occasion), he used to eat bananas, but I cut that out awhile ago. He's allergic to citrus, and lactose intolerant, so he doesn't get any of that stuff. He usually drinks water all day long, except for one cup of juice, two if I dilute it. He does eat a lot of pb&j. It used to be pb&honey, but I ran out and can't go get more till my toe heals up (just had surgery). I'll def try the hummus. I need to start eating it, but can't find any recipes that seem appealing.

And again, I AM waiting to talk to his dr.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• stop giving him the apples... or don't give him as many...apples can cause constipation...although for whatever reason apple juice has the opposite effect. Some small children are sensitive to apples.
    Craftymomof3

Answer by Craftymomof3 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009