Air Force Military life.

My guy wants to join the Air Force (hes 23 I'm 24) and we're not married. I support him 1000000000000000000000000% anything he wants to do. He mentioned that after ts all over in the begining like bootcamp and basic... that we can be together. I thought we had to be married for that??? Dont want to rush into marriage because my divorce is just pretty fresh (almost a year), Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He can live off base with you.
    Anonymous

• This policy is the same for all branches of service. Regardless of whether you are married or not, of course you would be apart for basic, and you would almost certainly be apart while he was at school (there are exceptions to this, depending on length of school, etc.) Or, you could be there unofficially - meaning you moved yourself, didn't have military housing, etc.

Now, after that, if you aren't married, and assuming he's stationed in the US, then, yes, you could be together, in the sense that as an adult in this country who, I assume, isn't in any legal trouble, you can move wherever you want to.

But, as a Jr Enlisted, he will almost certainly NOT be authorized to live off base. They will give him a barracks room (again, some exceptions, but living with gf isn't one). Now, he can choose to do this "out of pocket" and "unofficially" - some places are easier about that than others.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• cont

But, he won't get any BAH (housing allowance) or BAS (the money they give you for food if you don't live in the barracks / presumably eating in the mess hall).

You won't get any base access or benefits unless you're married, and the military will not help you move, or authorize him additional weight to add your stuff to his shipment, if you aren't married.

Now, again, this does NOT mean that you can't still move to wherever he's stationed, or that you should rush into a marriage if you aren't ready for it. It's just an explanation of benefits, and how all of it works :-)

btw - I've been AD military, my dh is still AD military (almost to retirement eligible), and I've worked with a lot of military families from all branches, and right now, we're living on an Air Force base, so you can trust me on this :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I second everything that sailorwifenmom said.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2009