Belly Sleeping??

My Son will be a month Old On Friday...He LOVES sleeping on his belly...in fact thats the only way he will go to sleep and stay a sleep. I can get him to sleep on his belly for hrs...But if hes on his back he will just lay there and cry (might fall asleep for 5-10mins here and there ... but it don't last) when hes on his belly and falls asleep he does have the strength to pick up his head and turn it from side to side...Like i will put him down with his head to the right...i go back and it will be facing the left. Is that OK to leave him like that while I sleep??? So far I haven't cause i was always told to put them to sleep on their back. I have also tried letting him fall asleep on his belly and when hes really sleeping to flip him back on to his back...Don't work...he wakes up and cries to go back on his belly.

oxcarirenexo

Asked by oxcarirenexo at 12:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughter was that little that's the only way she would sleep. We just kept her in our eyesight usually on the sofa next to us. Anyway, she NEVER liked sleeping on her back. she was always a side sleeper when she got a little bigger and now she's 13 months and sleeps mainly on her tummy or sprawled everywhere. Just keep an eye on him....if he's not in your sight maybe try him on his side in a sleep positioner.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my ds has always liked sleeping on his stomach, but they do tell you to put them on their backs for a reason, when she's that little try a good tight swaddle and see if that helps her on her back, you could try a sleep positioner, which makes them feel like they're being held. When she gets a little older you can try rolled blankets to help her side sleep, then when she can roll over, you can let her do what she wants
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son LOVED sleeping on his stomach LOL By 7 months you would catch him even with his butt in the air sleeping.
    I see nothing wrong with it .
    Babies did it for YEARS before someone said it was bad.
    My daughter sleeps on her side sometimes her stomach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• When my oldest was a baby he didn't like sleeping on his back either so we used rolled up blankets and "propped" him on his side to sleep with the blankets behind him. It's wasn't his tummy, but it wasn't his back either - they have sleep positioners for this now which might work for you lo. All 4 of mine have been tummy sleepers once they learned to roll both ways, but when they were really little I was never comfortable leaving them to sleep on their tummies.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I put my daughter on her tummy during the day while i can see her. she's 2 months and im still afraid to try it throughout the night. ur not alone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son was just like this when he was younger. I was also told to only let him sleep on his back. He'd do anything to roll over, so I started to roll up blankets and make a comftorable barrior around his body to keep him from rolling. Because he had something close to him he felt better I geuss, because he started to sleep on his back just fine. I kept it up because I was afraid to let him sleep on his tummy incase he stopped breathing. But now that he's 6 months and able to crawl and move his head back and forth on his own no-problem he now sleeps on his stomach, and I dont have to worrie.
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It is better to put them on their backs but if he will not sleep that way you can get the wedges at walmart and lay him on his side, Thats what i had to do with my son. He wouldnt sleep on his back either unless i tucked him in super tight. My son is 4 months now and ill wake up to get him and he will be either on his side or his tummy when i put him in there he is on his back.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2009