how can I get my 13 month old on a bfing schedual?

I have been trying the "don't offer, don't refuse" method, to work torwards a weaning, I understand that this method is a child led one and can take quite a while, but honesly he's just bfing more now and I really want to start the process of weaning so that he will be done around 18 months,(two is really my limit). He DEMANDS boob by tring to take off my shirt and screaaming if he doesn't get it, a lot of the time he just takes a quick drink and then just goes back to what he was doing, even if he has a sippy cup right in front of him, he will insist in boob. we had a schedual, but we got off it because I was worried he wasn't eating enough. I feel like he's nursing more then ever now, and I want to start working towards a weaning by first getting him on a schedual, any ideas on gentle ways to do this. sorry, kind of long and rambling...

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "He DEMANDS boob by tring to take off my shirt and screaaming if he doesn't get it"

And screaming has to get him NOWHERE. You need to treat this exactly as any other tantrum. It gets NO results.

You can tell him "not now. We'll nurse after Barney." And keep the promise. That's how you schedule. And DO NOT WORRY about making him unhappy. As Mom, that's your number one job! **wink**

You can also shorten each nursing session by a minute or so a week if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You said he wont drink a sippy if it is there but does he eat anything else? My son is 15 mths old and only nurses before naps, bedtime and when he wakes up at night. He did really well with just being offered a sippy cup when he "asked" to nurse. However, there were times when he wouldnt take the cup either. That is when I gave him a snack. He really likes the gerber snacks and those would take his mind off the nursing. Even though he only takes a sip form you he may think he is too hungry for whatever is in the sippy. Mine almost always had water in his so sometimes it just wasnt enough.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 9:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009