Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can she do to adopt her niece?

My best friend wants to adopt her niece because her mother is a druggie and is always moving around with her. The girls mother just got out of prison about a year ago and has gone back to using drugs and being neglectful. My friend tells her she would love to take her but she has to sign her over to her so she can get help from the state for daycare because she is a single mom who can't afford her otherwise. The girls mom said no and is still moving her around. I really feel for her becauce no child should have to go through this. What can she do to legally take her from her mother? Any input on your experience would be grateful. She doesn't want her sister to hate her but she is sick of what she is doing to her daughter....


Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I adopted both of my sister's children in different ways. The first was supposed to be a babysitting job that just kind of ended up permanent. It was a very long, difficult, expensive process to have my sister's rights and the rights of the putative fathers terminated, then privately adopt. Without interference from anyone, it took us almost a year. Thank goodness we had a fabulous lawyer. The second was a DHS removal, then a relinquishing of rights by my sister. It was difficult in other ways: strangers are always in our house, we had to get certified to be foster parents, it took the state 7 months to come up with assistance. Of the two, I'd suggest the DHS involvement. They document everything and usually will provide some type of assistance. Of course, the regulations vary by state, but if her living conditions are really bad, the state should be willing to step in. That said, our DHS workers constantly worked to place my

    Answer by DangerDarling at 2:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • Wow! This is a hard one. I'm kinda going through the same thing except for the fact that DYFS took the children from them. So maybe she can make a call to DYFS and explain the situation. She can also explain that she would take the niece in. They will provide her with a check for her care as well as medical insurance. Also she should be able to received food assistance.

    Seems like this is the only option when it comes to helping to child providing a childen a safe n stable home when their own parents can't n won't! The children are our future and we need to give them everything we can so that theyr can do well in life!

    Answer by phelmick at 1:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • Thanks i will let her know!

    Answer by jnsdrf at 1:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • I have a friend that did this with her niece and nephew because of alcohol.They were told it is best to go through the system because they also received help with the extensive therapy that was needed.They didn't need help with food,clothes and regular med but at 24,000.00 a year in uncovered therapy they needed the help.Things are better now and moving forward everyday.Good luck to your friend My friend chose not to adopt because she hoped her brother would get his life together,they still call her mom, it's been 7 yrs. they are adopting now.


    Answer by drfink at 2:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • youngest back with my sister right up until the relinquishment. We never knew from one court date to the next what was going to happen with our case. We didn't have such an emotional rollercoaster with my oldest, because she stepped out of the picture entirely and no one was forcing her to show up in court, undergo drug testing and attend classes aimed at improving her life.

    Answer by DangerDarling at 2:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009