How can I help my 10 year old son with stuttering?

My son is 10. He developed a slight stutter around the age of 4. It was not noticeable to anyone else other than me and my husband and he prospered in speech therapy for 3 months. Over the last 6 years, he has become very outgoing playing hockey, guitar and becoming popular in his performing arts school with no speech problems. However, he started 5th grade about 2 months ago and has regressed so much with his speech, that we are wondering what in the world happened. He reported that some of the chidren are beginning to tease him and I feel for my child. We are seeking speech therapy for him again however I cringe to think of my child being teased by other children and not being able to concentrate fully on his studies. I want to know if their are other mothers who have dealt with this type of thing and how can we help my son with this other than offering hugs, support and therapy. Please help!!!

Feffy

Asked by Feffy at 2:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Just give him time to say what he needs to say. Don't rush him. Let him say it on his own time.

My DS is turning 4 in December and i've noticed that he stutters. ...But i never pressure him. Even saying things like "Stop. ...slow down. ...okay. now tell me", don't usually help a child in the long run. Let the therapy do it's work, and in the meantime, don't add any pressure (i know you don't want to do that anyways). :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I dont know, but for some reason, music popped into my head. Try singing with him...does that sound ridiculous? Give him a mirror and have him practice common sentences.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my 7 year old son does the same thing he trys to talk to fast n he had speech since he been a baby
    i just tell my son to slow down he gets too excited n talks to fast
    Anonymous

• Just work with him, and have patience. Give him the confidence to face other children who tease him.I stuttered for along time and still do when I get nervous of uncomfortable in anyway. Most of my family and friends just ignore it, my kids point it out but they are small and they don't do it in a mean way. My parents and sisters helped me the most by talking to me and being patient, I remember my sister and I sitting in front of a mirror talking so I could watch her mouth move, that might help. Good luck and best wishes for your son.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Take him back to speech therapy. You can also give him time to speak. Don't correct him, don't point out the stuttering. If he is being teased at school, I would go with speech therapy. Also, have his ears checked to make sure he is hearing correctly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Stuttering is a really sensitvie issue with older kids, so as i'm sure you're already aware don't make a big deal out of it with him, stress usually makes the stutter worse. My husband is 29 and still has a stutter when he gets really nervous. Hes had it sense he was about 2. He also did speech for years you cant really notice now until hes very nervous.
    My 2 year old also has a stutter, they told me the same thing, time and speech thearpy.
    Hugs momma, it'll be okay!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2009