If a child has the chicken pox vaccine are other kids that have not had it considered exposed at that point?

I know of a child that just got the chicken pox vaccine that is in very close contact with other children are these children at a higher risk of getting the chicken poxs if they had not gotten the vaccine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Health

• They are being exposed to a live virus. ...yes.
    but so what? my mom had chickenpox when she was a kid. All four of her children got it. All of my cousins got it. ...we're all alive ( ...well, my moms dead. but not because of the pox)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Some kids and adults are immune compromised and that live vaccine could kill them. Keep the vaccinated child away from pregant children and the very young until they no longer shed it. I am not sure how long that will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i think the chicken pox vaccine is a ridiculous vaccine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• About 14,000 people are hospitalized because of chicken pox and approximately 100 people die of chickenpox every year.

that is NOT severe enough to make a VACCINE for this....

it's all about $$$$Money$$$$
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• From what I understand yes you should keep the kids apart, I am not sure for how long.

Having had the chicken pox as a child, I was glad to be able to save my children the trouble of going through it. It was horrible everything hurt everything itched no one could be near me and there was never enough calamine lotion in the house in my opinion lol, my mom had to hide it from me because i used so much of it.

Anon 27 it is not severe enough BECAUSE kids have been vaccinated, 27 years ago when i had it, it spread like wildfire and no one was safe if you were exposed unless you had already had it. Now when i hear that a child who has been around my children has chicken pox i dont worry about them getting it, even if they were to get it, it would be a much milder case. It beats the alternative of having it full blown. just like many other illnesses the vaccines are why the numbers are so low, it easy to forget that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No, the chicken pox was already down and THEN came the vaccination. let me find my book where the CDC admits this and ill reference it to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• "no one was safe if you were exposed unless you had already had it."
    ------------------

right ...but if you get the vaccine you have to get routine boosters. AND they are even recomending boosters to college aged kids now because the vaccines simply don't last long enough AND the chance that you can still get chickenpox after you had the vaccine is higher then if you actually got the chickenpox. AND you have a higher (yep. HIGHER) chance of getting shingles if you get the vaccine vs actually having the chickenpox.
    This is because shingles is caused from the virus laying dormant inside the body ...well, what do you think the virus is doing after it's injected into your body? Do you think your immune system can fight it off, when in most cases it doesn't fully recognize it because it hasn't gone through the regular passages of the immune system? ...usually not!
    :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• anonymous is correct, the chick pox spiked after the vaccine was introduced, i bet we have the same book because i read that in my book as well.
    and, the chicken pox vaccine is only 40% effective.

75% of children that had chicken pox, were vaccinted AGAINST it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The only reason I got my kids the chicken pox vaccine is because with all these people getting the vaccine the chances of my kids getting the chicken pox as kids is low. When the vaccine wears off bc of adults forgetting to get their boosters and contracting it from either them or an onfected kid...they will probably get it as adults and it's worse. I wanted to give them the best chance of not happening.

And about the books. I'm sure I can find a book that says the exact opposite, that chicken pox declined after the vax. Don't believe everything you read
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No, those kids are not considered exposed. Having the chicken pox vax vs having an outbreak are way different. For one, the virus is very very weakened in a vax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2009