Should I get my 3 yr old a FLU shot? If so why? should I get one too?

NewMom166

Asked by NewMom166 at 2:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i wouldnt get it for you or your child. you are more likely to get the flu after getting the flu shot. and who is to say that you wouldnt have gotten the flu in the first place??

if you get the flu, just take care of yourselves.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well... I HEARD that this year as far as the swine flu shot.... Its a LIVE virus!!! The regular old flu shot that people would get every year for the past who knows how long, was a dead virus... I opted out on getting my 2 kids, my hubby and my own flu shot this year! We just take our vitamins, eat good and wash our hands like crazy!!! Its totally up to you though! I would do your research before you make that final decision, dont do it cause of what other people make you think you should do it or not... Do your own research so that you can feel comfortable making that final decision!!! :) Good luck either way!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I have a 3 year old daughter. I am not getting the flu shot and she will not be getting it either. My So might be getting it but that's just cause he works at a jail with poeple he doens't know and gets up close with them and they may spit on him or somehting and ican't have him bringing it home bceaseu my daughters immune system isn't the greastest she been on anti's so much, that i told the doctor if they wanted to gave her more then they need to refer me to a Childrens Hospital cause somthing must be wrong if you hacve to give her that much. But since we moved she hasn't been on them and its been over a year now. But that shot is just ot new, I dont want to even chance it with her. And I am TTC so I really dont want it either. My SO is really thinkging about gettting it because of all the people at the jail
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 3:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The regular seasonal flu shot is a dead shot. It can make you sick if you are sensitive to eggs so ask your doc about other red flags. The h1n1 shot is dead, but the nasal spray is LIVE. It is intended for people who have no respritory problems.

My family is getting the seasonal flu shot but not the h1n1. It's a tough call will all of the horrible news out there. Talk with your doctor before you decide.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The flu shot will not make it more likely you'll get the flu! This site is full of such stupid responses today!

The flu shot will provide some protection against the flu virus. If you do get it, it should let you have a lighter case of it.

Should you and/or your kid get the shot...that's a question only YOU can answer. NOT us here.

As for us, our entire family will be getting the shot.
    Anonymous

• We always get seasonal flue shots...and it is a bit of a hit and miss since they do their best guess of what the virus will be like each year.

Sometimes they've completely missed, and you get horribly sick anyway (so your out 20 bucks and you get a bit of a sore arm).

Usually they get it mostly right, so you might get a little bit sick anyway, but it's really not so bad.

Sometimes they get it spot on, and you're totally immune.

It's your call if you think it's worth it....like PP said, just make sure you don't have any allergies to ingredients in them.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yes get her a flu shot.
    So she wont get the flu duh.
    You should get one...unless you WANT the flu.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• There are risks with the flu shot. There are risks with all shots. The flu sucks. But is it deadly for a healthy 3 year old? No. Are you healthy? It's not deadly for you. It sucks, yeah, but you get over it. Now, you can still choose the shot. It's totally up to you. I still want to se the data on how the flu shot will give you a "milder" case of the flu. How do they determine that?

You can't get the flu from the shot. The nasal is live virus, for both h1n1 and flu.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/Influenza/flufacts.aspx

Study up on it. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009