What helped you kick the habit of smoking?

I have a quit date set (November 1st, there are reasons for that date, PM me if you're interested) and I was just wondering what helped you ladies quit. Like what was the one (or two) things that helped you the MOST when you quit? Any stories, advice, etc. are very welcome! Thanks ladies!!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Health

• My best friend and I smoked in highschool and college. We played sports and were enduring some sort of physical activity everyday and smoking never effected our lung capacity until one day in college my best friend started having seizures. Turned out the short 4 years we smoked for had severe effect on her. At 22 years old she had cancerous lesions on her brain and lungs. They released her from the hospital and told her she had 6-8 months to live. She sat down with all our friends and told them the news and showed her CT scans and begged us to stop. I stopped but other friends didn't. She died exactly 8 months from her diagnoses. Stopping was a struggle for me, yes I wanted to, but my body said otherwise. I spent more on candy than ever on cigs. My main helper was straws. Cut a drinking straw to the length of a cig, stuff the end with paper, when you get a craving "puff" the straw.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I quit cold turkey! I just trashed the cigarettes and stayed away!!! You really only struggle the first few days... I have been cigarette free for three years now and I feel amazing!!! Also go to QUITNET.COM its awesome! You can get support, and there are tons of cool things about it!!! I would also tell EVERYONE you know that you are quitting so that you cant smoke around them! That way its harder to start again! Then after you go so long without a cigarette just think, if I have gone this long without one, I can double that amount of time! I dont think it was honestly that hard and I smoked for years!!! I just think that you really need to want to quit! Dont give in to any excuses on why you should start again or why you should smoke another! just stop! Check out that website its awesome!!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I had been wanting to quit for a long time. ...But when i became the main caregiver to my DSS that was the deal breaker. I quit about 3 weeks after DH proposed to me (just fyi ... i told him NO! lol) cold turkey. That was in July about ...2 years ago. i've had a smoke here or there while drinking. ...and when my mom died 6 months ago i had a little slip up that lasted about 2 weeks.

but what really helps me not want to smoke is my kids. Children who have parents that smoke are more then twice as likely to pick up the habit themselves. I don't want that for my kids.
    Also, my grandpa died of lung cancer ...he was an ex smoker of more then 40 years!!! and NEVER picked up a cigarette after he decided to quit cold turkey.

Lastly, my faith has been a motivating factor for me. you can PM if you'd like more detail on that. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I wish I had some advice for you but I am one of the many still struggling. I have tried cold turkey, the gum, the patch, and e ciggs. All with no luck. Was going to try meds next but we just found out that Dh's insurance will not pay for them and it is $189 for a 30 day supply and the doc says that most are on them for at least 90 days. Sure I will spend that much smoking but it will be spread out over time and that makes the number a little easier to accept. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my husband did it cold turkey...no patches no special gum...what he DID do was chew gum like MAD...so we always had tons of gum handy...he said the first two weeks were hell...but after that it got easier...i also remember him coughing ALOT...but he said its normal, its the lungs trying to clear out the tar, and it will stop.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The fear of being cancer had helped me to quit.
    Ileen74

Answer by Ileen74 at 6:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• there is a government listing and number ur doctor can give u the number but they will send u meds for free and things to help u quit goodluck if i can remember the number or site ill let u know
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 6:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Pregnancy. When i got pregnant i quit and I just never started again after. quitting is hard, if your smoking a lot and you want to quit cold turkey than i would get the gum- and make sure you follow the instructions on the gum. if you've already been weaning yourself off them then just make november 1st the day you never smoke again. it's really hard the first couple days and can get really hard when your stressed (because you've trained your brain to think it needs nicotine when it's stressed) but just stay strong- if you need to start another habit like chewing gum constantly or something.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 7:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848)
    here is the number u can call
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I quit cold turkey.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2009