Natural birth or c-section

my sister's baby seems to be a very big one. I think, natural birth will be a little bit difficult and dangerous.

Ileen74

Asked by Ileen74 at 4:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you THINK....

everyone said my dd would be a 10 lb baby and she was only 8 lbs 7 oz.. not that big.

my mother deliever me at 9 lbs 5 oz and my SO was delivered NATURALLY at 10 lbs +

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• oh god! you asked about a c-section! everyone is going to be like NATURAL IS BEST! blah!!! they dont get that some women elect to have a c-section, it is becoming more common these days! i know because i read up about it b/c i was scared of have to push my baby out, but i have decided that natural (with the epi of course) is best for me and i am going to try!

your sister needs to do what she feels most comfortable with, if she doesnt feel comfortable giving natural birth, then have her discuss a c-section. but i am going to tell you a lot of moms bash the whole c-section thing. so GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Keep in mind that if you"elect" to have a c section insurance will not cover it....they only cover medical reasons only. She should do her research because the risks involved for c sections outweigh the ones for natural. I just got a c section and the recovery is not pleasant at all!! Natural child birth was far better to me.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• in my opinion c-sections should only be done when medically necessary. they are major surgery. pushing a baby out of your vagina is not as impossible as it sounds. our bodies were made to do this! only in rare cases does a woman need a c-section for the simple reason they are fearing the baby will be too large to go through the pelvis. to some women c-sections seem like an easy answer, but I don't get that at all. and btw, MOST times that a doc suspects a large baby on an ultrasound, even a 4d ultrasound, the baby is not born as large as they suspect. I think your sister should try regular labor and delivery ( with meds if she wants, without meds if she wants, whatever ) before resulting to a surgical procedure that runs increased risks of infections, not to mention a potentially very painful and difficult recovery ( who needs that, *especially* if you're trying to adjust to life with a newborn )...???
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• NJMom2Tyler, you bring up some good points.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• women should not be afraid of pushing a baby through a vagina. it's been done millions of times over millions of years! our bodies were specially designed for birth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• also, dangerous? that's exaggerating. OP if your sister has a vaginal delivery there is nothing dangerous about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I was told that I was going to have a 9-10 lb baby and that it was safe for me to deliver vaginally. I was in labor for about 12 hours and I had stopped making progress. My doctor talked to me about a c-section. I didn't want one so I told him that I wanted to try a bit longer. Well, I tried a bit longer and still nothing changed, so I decided that a c-section might be best at this point. They did the c-section and my son came out weighing nearly 12 lbs. Some women can deliver big babies, some can not. The point is, that I at least tried to deliver him vaginally, and for that I regret nothing about my birth experience.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my granny had an 11 pound baby natrual at home way back in the day. me i wanted to have my kids natrual but i had to have an emergancy c-section because my bones wouldn't spread, then they made an appointment for me to have a c-section with my 2nd child, but 2 days b4 she started to come down and started turning. it almost killed me and her. i wish i could have had a natrual delivery. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I wouldnt pick a csection . THere are so many risks along with it.
    If her baby is getting really big tell her to ask her dr about inducing at 38 or 39 weeks.
    We had to do that for my daughter. Because she was huge and my body couldnt handle it when my son was bigger than that.
    But also keep in mind you would be amazed at what the human body can do her body maybe built for it.
    Also she could just have extra fluids making her seem bigger then what she is .
    If it is a concern ask for an ultra sound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2009