my OB is making me deliver early....

had my monthly check-up yesterday (scheduled it on my birthday so i could see my beautiful baby girl!)....anyhow.. i'm 29 weeks and my doctor was like "only 10 weeks left!"......i was pretty confused so i inquired more and he said he's going to have me deliever at 39 weeks and if i don't go into labor naturally he's going to go ahead and induce me. has anyone had a similar scenario? any ideas as to why he wants me to deliver a couple weeks early? couldn't really get a clear answer out of him...haha.... SO EXCITED, THOUGH! =).....ooh and my DH and I picked a name that I just wanted some feedback on..... Annabelle Lou.....what do you think? We are 100% on Annabelle because its a beautiful southern name, and Lou after my Great-Grandmother....any ideas what middle name sounds better? thanks!

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 7:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are not really comfortable as to why your dr wants to induce you, you need to find out. If he wont give you a straight answer, you might want to consider changing drs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i'm completely comfortable with it, its not a problem at all....i was just curious if anyone had any idea as to why it might be or if anyone had been in a similar situation. i completely trust him.
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 7:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• well i mean 37 weeks IS full term and most women usually only make it to 40 weeks...so it would only be a week early...but if you are uncomfortable with it tell your doc and ask him why he wants to do this. there might be a health issue and thats why or maybe he doesnt want you to be over due. also if you are uncomfortable with induction let him know and if you dont want to be induced tell him! this is your delivery..

by the way LOVE the name!!! it is sooooooo cute!!!! im having a boy but if it was a girl i was going to have the middle name Jo just because i thought it was southern and cute!

CONGRATS!!!!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I advise against early inductions--- especially if you don't have a good reason. Get the book "Pushed" and read it--- like yesterday. You need to get some solid info on your side. Induction is not fun and the domino effect seems to happen quickly when labor is started unnaturally. Your chances of other interventions, especilly csection skyrocket--- and c sections have some major ramifications on the rest of your reproductive years. Educate yourself. Don't let your doctor make something as natural and beautiful as childbirth into a medical marathon.
    (Oh, and just FYI, I'm not even necessarily promoting natural birth here. I have huge respect for the women who go that route. I've had easy, beautiful perfect labors. I progressed quickly and had epi's. But starting out unnaturally is scarey.)
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't really like the idea of inducing labor, however there may be a health issue involved, I would talk to your dr, and find out a reason. make him tell you, it's your child, you have a right to know. You may not even make it to that day, My water broke with both of my children, one at 36 weeks, one at 37 weeks. they both were completly healthy, so If your dr is sticking with inducing for whatever reason, i'm sure you'll both be fine, 1 week early is no big deal...
    By the way, LOVE the name:)
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You dont have to do it. HE cant make you induce.
    I was induced but for medical reasons.
    If you and baby are just fine Id tell him that you are going to just wait it out.
    CONGRATS :)
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I am totally opposed to induction unless there is a sound medical reason for doing it. Most of it is done for the convenience of the doctors, and the results are often horrible for the baby and for the mother. Babies have been born for centuries without being hurried, and it is much, much better for them and for the moms. I would tell him the answer is no, and if he didn't want to deliver my baby when it was ready to come, I would be finding me a new doctor. This has reached the point of abuse, and it's time people stood up and stopped allowing it to happen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Drs shouldn't be inducing without a reason - sometimes they are wrong on the date. Most hospitals won't even allow induction until 39 weeks MINIMUM unless there is a medical reason for doing it. I would ask your dr why he thinks you need to be induced - most drs think it's better for woman to go into labor naturally and they wait until after 40 weeks to do an induction.
    I've been induced at 39 weeks, but it was because my 1st child got stuck in the birth canal and had shoulder dystocia - they didn't want my subsequent children to be having the same problems.

Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Inductions are starting to become epidemic now. Some doctors care more about making a baby's arrival convenient than actually doing what's best for baby and mother. You should do research on inductions. Inductions are fine when medically necessary (my sister had to have one 2 weeks past her due date and the baby was in ICU for a few days from breathing in too much merconium). But, when you let your body go into labor naturally, labor progresses better than with an induction. Inductions cause the contractions to not progress as quickly as they normally would. An induction labor can be much longer, much more difficult, and much more painful than a traditional delivery.

This decision is between you and your doctor. Just research it before you agree to it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• To answer your second question...your dr is scheduling an induction to make your baby's arrival more convenient for him. He doesn't want to risk you going into labor at 3am and waking him in the middle of the night or maybe he has a vacation planned during your 40th week. These types of things are getting to be very common place now.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2009