Baby Congestion

My 6 week old has a congested nose with just a little bit of boogers coming out his nose. He has no fever or any other ailments. I feel like it would be a waste to go to the dr without a fever. Should I give him medicine for congestion myself or should I just go to the dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe call the doctor and see if u can give him medicane for that and see what they say
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My daughteres doing the same thing, all they told me to do was get a bulb sucker and suck her snot out, They normally dont really like to treat em because they are born with natural immunities. Good luck though i know it sucks :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• At 6 weeks...congestion is normal. There is nothing (medicine wise) you can give him. In fact, they don't recommend treating congestion with drugs in any child under 2...mostly because the medication doesn't work on babies but also because it can cause drowsiness, reduced heart rate, etc. which is unsafe for babies. A few things you can do...put baby to sleep on an angle to help aid in drainage (i.e. in a swing, bouncer or put a small pillow UNDER baby's mattress to create a slight incline). You can also get some Johnson's Vapor bath...it contains fragrance like Eucalyptus and Peppermint that help open up baby's airways. A steamy bathroom for this will also help. Vicks also makes a baby rub that contains some of the same fragrances (normal vicks is not safe for babies though). Other than that, just try to suction with the bulb as often as you can.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2009