How do I get rid of overpowering smells?

We have been cleaning out another estate for a sale. We have been going really quickly considering what we have had to tackle. Our latest snag has been an infestation of mice and packrats due to the lack of human activity the last couple of years. What can we use to rid the putrid smell of these critters in the vehicles? Febreeze, baking soda, vinegar and vanilla only seem to mask the smell for a short period of time.

auntj

Asked by auntj at 7:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If the smell is in the carpet/cloth. You might have to replace the carpet/cloth. I would say bleach if to was not carpet/cloth. Simple green maybe.

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would cover it with baking soda and let it sit for a few days. Then vacuum it up. Arm and Hammer also makes a carpet freshening mixture that you put on and vacuum out that releases a fragrance.

How long are you leaving the baking soda on for? I'd really recommend leaving it for a few days.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2009