Can science cheat death? (Suspended Animation)

(CNN) -- Losing blood has immediate and guaranteed effects on the human body. In three to four minutes, neurons in the brain begin to die. In four to five minutes, permanent brain damage occurs. In 20 minutes, the heart no longer beats.
It is this certainty that drives doctors such as Dr. Hasan Alam to find new ways to make the bleeding stop and to buy more time for a patient with a life-threatening injury.
Alam is a trauma surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital. The Department of Defense is putting its hopes in his and other research teams across the country to find new and better ways to save soldiers on the battlefield, and ultimately, in emergency rooms everywhere.
It may sound like science fiction, but his work is focusing on what he calls "emergency preservation" or "suspended animation." Some call it extending life; others call it cheating death. So far, it's been successful in human-sized pigs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with" baconbits" I have already told my family to pull the plug if there is no sign of me ever coming out of a vegetated state. I would rather them mourn and go on.

I am all for the advancing of science. I think it is possible that science can eventually "cheat death" I was watching the tale end of a show where they may have found the elixir of life..but I just watched the last few minutes, I have no idea what it was or might be. Very interesting though.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I saw Dr. Sanjay Gupta, or however you spell his name talk about this too. He wrote a book about it called "cheating death". It's very interesting to say the least.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If they can save a life thats great. I just don't want it to leave anyone a vegetable because of what they do.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2009