Should parents held responsible for letting their children be vaccinated?

Here in CM is widely discussed vaccines and how some children are affected by the preservatives in vaccines.

Have you hear the expression "Caveat emptor" is Latin for "Let the buyer beware". I don't know if this applies to medicine but shouldn't the parents be more communicative with Doctors and provide family history of any allergies or autoimmune diseases which could be an important factor at deciding what vaccines should be given or not. Let the parents decide what's best for their children. Unless you think that parents are incapable of understanding the "mechanism" of vaccines.

I mean Doctors only can do much. Why do we expect for Doctors to know "everything"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always believed in Patient Accountability, not many have that
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well if the doctor doesn' t know than he shouldn't be a doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree. My husband says they say the same thing when we have conserns, "She's fine", The CDC said on Good morning america that the swine flu vacc and some others do have traces of mercury, but if u dont want that one u have to request the one w/ out mercury, like Who would know that??? Im debating on waiting til my 2 month old gets older then give her the shots especialy if the DR acts like they are gonna avoid answering my questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Doctors are only know what they they were taught in school. Which is what vaccines to give and when. There was no discussion of what was i nthe vaccines or why we should be concerned. Doctors are people just like everyone else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• "Doctors are only know what they they were taught in school. Which is what vaccines to give and when. There was no discussion of what was i nthe vaccines or why we should be concerned. Doctors are people just like everyone else."
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I would not go to a doctor that did not keep up on current medical events and education. They are not just like everyone else, they have attended years of specialized schooling to enter a career that can alter anothers life or death. My specialized degree will not cause life or death solutions for those i provide a service for. My doctors/pediatritions are very informed on whats IN shots, why shouldn't they all be then?

OP, to answer your question, yes. as a parent it is my responisbility to consult with the best doctors i can find to get the answers to then make an informed decsion about my childs health.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think this is why it's SO important for parents to do as much research on this topic before committing to inject their child with vaccines. Let's look at it this way...there are a plethora of docs who don't even vaccinate their own children, and those that swear it's the only thing to protect our children from these diseases. Who is right? Well, that's up for the parent to decide.

As far as family history...it is given. When you fill out patient history forms, it does ask for allergies, and family history. It's a matter of if the Doc is going to pay attention to it or not. I'm allergic to latex, and when I had my DD, I had a special "latex free" cart with supplies right outside my door. Do you think anyone paid a damn bit of attention to it? NOPE.

But yes, it's our responsibility as parents to know exactly what we're putting into our children, and we cannot blindly trust ANYONE. Not even Doctors.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If your pediatrician doesn't take a family history of medical problems and allergies/sensitivities, then you need to find a new pediatrician.

Of course the parent is responsible for what happens to their child. DUH.
    Anonymous

• yes i think parents should take responsibility. but i also think that if a a child who doesnt get vaccinated against something develops that sickness the parents should also be held accountable.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree... too many people put the blame on the doctors when things don't go well... not with just vaccines, but with all things in medicine. They aren't GOD they can only do so much and make their best GUESS on what is best. It is up to the parent to make the choice for their child. And with so many things... you never know what is going to happen. With things like allergic reactions, there is no way of knowing that it would happen, it's no one's fault. Or for those who choose not to vaccinate and the child gets an illness... there is no way of knowing if they would get it and if they might have long term health complications because of it. It's up the parent to choose which RISK is greater and choose based on that.
    Now if a doctor doesn't check past history or doesn't look at the child's known allergies... well then it's the doctors fault... but again, it's the parents job to remind the doctor or nurse of allergies
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I have known parents that DIDN'T give an accurate medical history and therefore when their kids was given a vaccinate or a certain medication the child got sick.

Parents need to talk with the doctors. IF a doctor does not have the answer then they should be willing to find out.

Example: My oldest son, who is a twin, was born with a very rare condition, Fetal Ascites. His doctor had heard of it but that was it. He found every thing he could on it and checked my son ever check-up. His twin was born with a rare birth defect and again the doctor researched it and made sure he knew how to treat our son.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2009