Am I a hoarder or just plain lazy???

I have so much to do and would like to accomplish something today my housse is a mess I know I need to get rid of stuff but don't know where to begin.

Does anyone know where to begin?

From old clothes, magazines, kids stuff made in school, the kitchen if full of stuff I don't use, the pantry needs to be re arranged, I need to be alittle better in my dusting everytime I turn around there is dust...aarrgg I hate dust.

Can someone please direct me in the right direction I am tired of living like a pig.

Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• start by going threw magazines and papers and throw them away i know how u feel u can pm me if u want but just start going threw things and get rid of alot but also maybe box it up and have a yard sale make a little money on the side also
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Watch on either Style Network or TLC the tv show Clean House, it's about moving things out of lives to make room to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My suggestion is to start with the biggest mess first. Work your way down to the little stuff. The clothes donate them, stuff in the kitchen donate it. The stuff kids made in school don't throw it out you will regret it, my mother threw out all the things my brother, sister and I made for her and it hgurt our feelings. Put the stuff you truly love where evryone can see it and the other stuff in a box in the closet. As for the pantry look at exp. dates get rid of anything over a year old. The best thing I have found to do, is to organize everything by food, corn with corn, beans with beans, ect. The bagged stuff get little bins and put it there, chips with chips, rice with rice, ect. Ceareal get rid of those boxes put your cereal in air tight containers. It is a lot of work but in the end you'll love the neatness of it all
    Gaugesmom20

Answer by Gaugesmom20 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Choose one room, either your bedroom or a public room that company will see. Clean up one area at a time and do your best to keep that space clean. If you see you can do it, it will help you work on other areas of your house. In the one room you chose, choose one small area to see immediate results. A desktop or a closet. As counterproductive as it sounds, do not do individual drawers or other areas out-of-sight to begin. You need a major visual change to motivate yourself to continue. Pick up anything on the floor that is not where it belongs. DUST (I know you hate that word) surface tops and around doors and windows, even tho you will stir up more dust as you move things. Once organized the next dusting will go so much quicker you won't regret it. If you do your own room, you will have a retreat to energize you for the next attack. If you do a public room you get less criticism from others. Give it your best - don't quit
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• www.flylady.com
    Great website. I dont follow the scrub your sink till it shines but there is a LOT of good advise and schedules (weekly and even yearly) to help you keep on track.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• One room at a time. Start in a corner and have a trash can next to you. Throw away some stuff, and move the rest to it's place in the house. I usually make piles of stuff that goes to certain rooms. Like this stuff goes to the bedroom and this stuff goes to the kitchen and this goes to the bathroom. When I finish an area or room, I move all the stuff to their rooms and put them away.

Then I have a schedule of what rooms get done on what day.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Read this book (you should be able to get it at your local library): http://www.amazon.com/Buried-Treasures-Compulsive-Acquiring-Hoarding/dp/0195300580 , then you will know whether or not you have a hoarding problem

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• When I get in the mood I have a trash can and 2 boxes with me. Pitch, keep or donate/yard sale. Normally I donate because that way as soon as the box is filled I shove it in the van so it doesn't come back in the house. Same with the trash bag. I also start in one corner of the room and go around. Take my family room I'll start on one side of the front door and clean off the hutch, then inside then onto the area around dh's chair, etc. I'll end up back at the front door cleaning off the coat area. It's a combination of things that show and things that don't so I get both done without being overwelmed at any one thing. Then move onto the kitchen. Do the counter top, then the silverware drawer, etc. Make sure you reward yourself as you go & don't try to do it all in one day or you'll burn yourself out. Try and have a friend, sister, etc with you at key times like going thru clothes. They'll be honest that the dress makes cont'
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• you look fat, is to small, outdated, wellworn, etc. If you can't have someone with you then you'll have to do it yourself and be honest. Have you worn it in the past year? Did you get compliment on it? How did you feel in it?

You're only lazy if you don't do anything about the way you live. If you're wanting to change then you're the only one who can do it.

I will tell you the biggest secret that I've come across in keeping our house clean and that is that less is better. I used to have a pig collection of 300+. Try keeping that clean. Now it's sold off except for 5-10 that I really like and mean something to me. Same thing with photos sitting around. I used to have photos of everyone sitting around. Now only a few and when I get new ones then I put the old ones away. Nic nacs also take up lots of time/space/dirt! My husband sells stuff at a flea market & he always tells people when they ask that he sells it cheap cause
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• it looks better at your house then mine. DON"T BELIEVE HIM! It doesn't. It's just the stuff that I decided I didn't want to dust anymore and you don't want to pick up where I left off.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009