What are some chores I can give my 4.5 year old to do?

I can't get her to clean her room for anything unless I threaten her with the paddle and even then I have to use it at times. If I am over top of her she will clean her room, but I can't do that all the time. The one day she was supose to clean ner room it took her from 8 in the morning until 7 at night to do it cause she wouldn't do it she would go up there lay on her bed or play when her dad got home he was over top of her to clean her room then she cleaned it. But I need to give her some kind of chores to get her to starte helping around here. I do have her clean her room and the playroom and help with dishes, but what else is there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• She can definitely clean her room but if I were you, I would help her, guide her and make it fun since she is 4. My dd and I would play catch, I would throw her a toy and she shot it in the toy basket. Make it easy for now...all toys in the toy basket and all the barbie junk in the other(for us this worked). Too much sorting of toys is too complicated for her probably. I have a rule for clothing and that is they never, NEVER are allowed on the floor.

My kids like to vacuum and I bought them each a feather duster. Buy her a little apron too. Give her one of those Pledge wipes, draw pictures on the tables when you spray the polish. I make my dd help with laundry, nothing big but have her lay her undies on top of each other, nice and neat. GL!

Give her a little star on a dry erase board and 10 stars she gets something special. Reward her.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Just a quick organizing tip that I use for my dd's room......If you buy bed risers for her bed, a rectangular inexpensive laundry basket will slide under her bed for great and easy storage.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Sort thru her stuff with her and get rid of alot of it. To many of our children have way to many toys & clothes. Get rid of anything she doesn't like or play with. Sometimes it can simply get to overwelming for them if they have enough toys to fill a toy store. They pull everything out to find one toy to play with and then forget to put the rest back. Streamline the room.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• In addition to what you are doing, you can have her help fold towels. My son loves it, and since they're all square and rectangle, he can handle it. He is also 4.
    He puts away his own laundry ('cause I don't care if it's folded or not.)
    He puts his toys away, or I put them up high in the closet so he can't play with them.
    He collects shoes and puts them on the shoe shelf.
    He puts a clean trash bag in the kitchen trash can.
    He helps put away dishes.
    He helps put away groceries.
    Pretty much, I keep him with me so he can "help" with everything, even in the smallest way until it's normal for him, and he can do it himself.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009