What would you do if your child said he didn't want to go to school because his Kindergarten teacher yells at the other kids in class every day?

shantestv

Asked by shantestv at 9:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd schedule a conference with his teacher. She may be a new teacher and feeling over whelmed and possibly completely unaware that she's yelling all of the time.

Talk with the teacher first and see what your impression is after meeting with her. If things don't improve in a week, then talk to the principal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree w/the above poster. I would call for a meeting w/the teacher to get a sense of what is going on and then proceed from there as far as what action to take. It should not be a hostile environment...good luck! Good for you for listening to your child and taking action - more moms should!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It is crazy. I never look at the school age posts, but I did today for some reason, boredom? ANyway, my 5 year old was having the same problem. It was just a couple of weeks ago and my DD was coming hom early from school. She did it twice and started crying about going to school. Then she would fight me about getting dressed and brushing her teeth. It was horrible. Finally I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she gets hurt every time her teacher has to yell at the class. Her teacher even told me that she hardly ever has to get on to my DD, but when most of the class is acting up, she ends up yelling at everyone. I tried telling my DD that it was not her and she understood this, but she is so emotional. I eventually wrote a letter to her teacher and let her know what was going on. It seems that her teacher never realized how much her yelling might have hurt other people in the class. continued...
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• cont.. She called me that day and let me know that she and the aid talked to her and let her know that she was sorry. She has also been taking the time to let her know how much she appreciates her hard work and her listening. She will get extra stickers or a sucker or something like that for working so hard. She will even make a big deal of her work, and the other kids as well. This has helped my little DD and she is now excited about going to school again. It is imperative that the teacher talk to your son on a one on one basis and that she apologize to him. He needs to hear from her that it is not him and she needs to make an extra effort to let the students who are behaving how much she appreciates them. I hope things work out. If they don't then you might want to get the principal involved. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2009