I can't take the whinning anymore help.....

My daughter is 4.5 years old and she whinnes all the time you cannot say anything to her at all or she gets mad and starts whinning. I think it is cause for one I don't think she is getting enough sleep, she will not take a nap at all anymore and for bed she gives me a hard time I put her to bed at 8pm and she wont go to sleep half the time til after 11pm I need her to start going to bed before she starts school next year. She will keep coming down stairs or she will sit there playing like she doesn't want to miss anything and when we go to bed she will keep coming in our room. How can I get this whinning to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have a zero tolerance policy for whining; it is an instant time out at our house.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• At 4.5...you're going to need to get a little tougher. Bedtime is bedtime and she needs to know you mean business. Stand outside her room until she goes to sleep if you have to. Enforce consequences for late nights. You could even start a point system for behavior...make it clear what is expected of her and how many points she'll get or get taken away for certain actions. Points get her tv time, computer time, whatever she likes. As for the whining...don't react to it. If it doesn't get her anywhere, then eventually she'll stop. If she wants something, she needs to ask nicely...and that should be the only way she ever gets what she wants (not to say you have to say yes every time she asks nicely but you do need to say no every time she whines about it). Make it clear that whining will no longer get her anywhere. People do what works...if whining gets her what she wants, she'll continue to do it. Best wishes.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I totally agree with Angie409. I tell my kids "no whining, use words." and nicely, get down and look them in the eye, give them your full attention and stay calm. If that warning does not work, I send my kids to thier room and tell them when they are ready to talk nice, they can come out. Only respond to talking, not whining. It should give her a more positive attitude.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I am step mom and really have to give credit to the Mom. She had a system that she started real early in their life that made bedtime so much calmer that I had with my kids. She set a timer for bedtime. When this went off the kids got in jammies and went to their room. For 30 mins they could play quitely in the room. Then the next 30 mins they could play quietly in their bed. She monitored what toys were good for bedtime so the kids knew that cars or other active toys were not allowed at this time. Crayons, books, listening to music was ok. Then at the end of the 30 minutes lights out. Most of the time the kids were asleep before lights out.
    This worked so well with little ones and older ones. When one son came to live with us at 15, he told us how much sleep he needed and asked for help in setting a good schedule. He figured out that he needed to be in bed by 9. I never had to bug him about bed time at all
    KatWW

Answer by KatWW at 11:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Saying "I can't understand you when you whine, sorry" was what worked when I was a nanny. These kids were 7 and 9 pulling that crap though.
    Anonymous

• I tell my son, who is 4, that I don't understand whining. When he gets out of control whiney, I pick him up and dump him on his bed, on which he must sit "until he is ready to come out" with no time limit. "Ready to come out" means talking like a big boy. Whining is an automatic trip to sit on his bed. Bed time is bed time. He can read his books, but that's about it. He has to stay in his room.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2009