How to go about having a family meeting?

I am wanting to have a family meeting my kids are 21 months and 4 years I know the 21 month old isn't going to get any of this, but I want to talk to hubby about what we can do for our 4 year old when she isn't listening or doesn't want to do something so we are on the same page and he isn't you know giving her one dispiline and me another. Plus I want to let my 4 year old no of the consaquences for what is going to happen if she doesn't follow directions? How do I go about having a meeting and what are some consiquences I can use if she doesn't follow rules?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• THis is a great idea. You and your hubby getting on the same page is very important. Just pick a good time for all of you. I have even been so mad that when we had a family meeting, I said "I am going to say what happened and I am that is all Im going to say." Then I bring up the problem and let my hubby back me up. Then I support my hubby's decision. Anyway, works for us.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We have a family meeting every saturday afternoon...after lunch before nap, we pull out a blanket and pow-wow in the living room and just basically discuss general topics, how our week went, any issues and feelings...we ask our toddler what she would like to do the following weekend and ask if she has any complaints (being that she's only 2.5, we have to use different language of course)...just an informal get together.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Is this a meeting or a discusion on punishment? If you want a successful meeting you need to make it fun. Let all members be free to say how they feel about the last week. Remember these are feelings, so they can't be judged or told they are wrong to feel that way. Ask age appropiate questions. EX: To your daughter - is there anything that dad and I did this week that your really liked? Is there anything that we are not doing that you wish we could do as a family? If she can't remember, you could remind her "dad took you to school 3 days this week. How was that for you? Do you like for Dad to take you to school sometimes?"
    KatWW

Answer by KatWW at 11:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree having a family meeting that focuses on what went well this week helps our kids do more of "what is expected." We put one child "in the spotlight" each meeting to teach us their own tip on how we can be a happier family. Our kids like being recognized for doing well and making our family a happier one. Lynne www.lynnekenney.com
    LynneKenney

Answer by LynneKenney at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009