What is your opinion of churches putting their political views on the marquee for ALL to see?

I drove by a Lutheran church last night. Usually their marquee is happy, loving stuff, but what it said this time disturbed me. It said "NO HEALTHCARE REFORM! DEBATE HERE!" along with "Matthew" something something, I can't remember the verses.

Do you think churches should push their political ideas towards the public? Do you think politics should be discussed in churches or any other religious gathering place at all?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No they should not be displaying their political views. Politics and religion are like oil and water they don't mix.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Its their right to put up signs on their property, no matter if they are political or not. Although, I can't imagine that there is a church where every member has the same political views... Back when I was in college, there was a Vietnam War veteran who lived in the neighborhood where I rented a house. He had all kinds of signs posted in his yard publicizing his views about the Govt. Whether I agreed w/ him or not, its his property and his right to post signs on it.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Everyone has the right to express their views...but I have real questions about tax exemption for ANY group that begins acting as a political arm. And no, I'm not limiting that to churches.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Everyone has a right to speak their points of view ... but I agree with the first poster, religion and politics don't go hand n hand never have and never will so I do think it should have been there.. JMO...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Religion and politics don't mix, but through out history they always seem to end up in bed together.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Sure, they can put their political opinions out there for all to see. When they want to give up their tax exemption! Separation of church and state.
    wearygram

Answer by wearygram at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Answered at 9:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 by: gdiamante
    Everyone has the right to express their views...but I have real questions about tax exemption for ANY group that begins acting as a political arm. And no, I'm not limiting that to churches.

this
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I'm laughing at the 2 statements together - NO reform...DEBATE here. Sounds like they've already made up their minds, so what's the debate?

I think it's a fine line. Churches are a good place to share information to large groups of people who otherwise would never associate with one another to share information. I don't think it's the place to push an opinion, especially if it's going to have the mixed signals of implying a divine reason to choose one over the other.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Last time I checked (at least for now) freedom of speech still applies to churches....

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I f churches want to get involved in politics/government...they can PAY TAXES!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2009